What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
craigerchoppers
    Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:35 am

I have a small construction company we erect light ga metal trusses and I have a patented system that allows us to pre-assemble roofs on the ground and gang erect them. I have made all the toolings and had some time last year to creat a jet john boat it will travel at speeds of 42 miles an hour and travel in 1'1/2 of water, thought that it would go over good but all it has really done is draw attantion. So I thought I would shear this with four forum, I have some other projects to share. I have a machine shop and can fabricate aluminum,steel and stainless been doing this for 30 years but I always want to learn more.
Attachments
duck boat 2.jpg
duck boat 2.jpg (157.38 KiB) Viewed 4929 times
Ables Pictures 032.jpg
Ables Pictures 032.jpg (104.08 KiB) Viewed 4929 times
Jet john boat craig's list.jpg
Jet john boat craig's list.jpg (115.76 KiB) Viewed 4929 times
GLwelder

This is nice, I bet you have to watch your speed so it dose not get away from you. I live in West Virginia close to the Greenbier River witch that would go great on and be an eye catcher. :D
jtybt
    Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:44 am

That's neat! I do some work on I/O's but not jet. I was wondering what power plat you were using. I also don't recognize the exhaust manifold/system. Who's the maker?

Thanks,
Charlie
Charlie
craigerchoppers

jtybt wrote:That's neat! I do some work on I/O's but not jet. I was wondering what power plat you were using. I also don't recognize the exhaust manifold/system. Who's the maker?

Thanks,
Charlie
It is a 95 hp polaris motor and I made the exhaust system
jtybt
    Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:44 am

Great!

I made a full water jacketed SS riser/exhaust system. I have aluminum exhaust manifolds I'm going to seal up the water passages. With this new TIG, I think I'll tackle a SS water jacketed exhaust manifold next.
Charlie
madcowplumber
    Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:14 am

First off, my first time posting on this forum. My name is Tom and I live in Kodiak, AK. I met a fellow up here 20 some years ago that built the aluminum skiff I bought and we became fast friends. He was a true welder and more importantly a great fitter and inventor. He knew aluminum. I only wish I had learned a quarter of what he knew.
I've mostly mig and stick weld and then only for hobby sakes and a little for my work. I've decided to try tig and so have found this site. Great information here. Anyway, here's my first post.

"Nice job on the Duck. I was wondering why the piece of aluminum hanging down at the transom. Does it follow the transom line or is it pitched forward? I see from the numbers on the boat you are registered in TN. Do you ever have a problem sucking weeds into the jet? Is the boat fitted for a grate? The reason I'm asking is I was thinking about building a river boat also. I toyed with the idea of a light bottom, but since I wanted to build a 24 footer with an eight foot beam I just thought that by the time I braced the bottom enough to remove the twist and torque, I would be better off with a 1/4 inch bottom and not so many strengthening members. Looks like the Duck has been over a few rocks. This would be my first encounter with a jet drive as most of our skiffs have outboards, IO's and some inboards so your set up is quite interesting."
craigerchoppers

madcowplumber wrote:First off, my first time posting on this forum. My name is Tom and I live in Kodiak, AK. I met a fellow up here 20 some years ago that built the aluminum skiff I bought and we became fast friends. He was a true welder and more importantly a great fitter and inventor. He knew aluminum. I only wish I had learned a quarter of what he knew.
I've mostly mig and stick weld and then only for hobby sakes and a little for my work. I've decided to try tig and so have found this site. Great information here. Anyway, here's my first post.

"Nice job on the Duck. I was wondering why the piece of aluminum hanging down at the transom. Does it follow the transom line or is it pitched forward? I see from the numbers on the boat you are registered in TN. Do you ever have a problem sucking weeds into the jet? Is the boat fitted for a grate? The reason I'm asking is I was thinking about building a river boat also. I toyed with the idea of a light bottom, but since I wanted to build a 24 footer with an eight foot beam I just thought that by the time I braced the bottom enough to remove the twist and torque, I would be better off with a 1/4 inch bottom and not so many strengthening members. Looks like the Duck has been over a few rocks. This would be my first encounter with a jet drive as most of our skiffs have outboards, IO's and some inboards so your set up is quite interesting."
Thank you for your compliments I have been in fabrication for some 35 years I have a web page http://www.craigerschoppers.com please vist and you can see my shop. Yes I have a stainless steel grade I made to keep rocks out of the jet unit. The weeds present no problems for the jet, and I have been told by a jetski mech that really don't need any protection at all. The boat is now up for sale and I am selling it for half the cost to build it. I have this boat in my show room and have not used it much at at all. New SBT motor and rebuilt pump and there is no wood at all in this boat. I have added alot of foam for flotation and quietness. If you have an interest in shallow running boats you can have this one for half the cost to build it. I also have a patented trailer with airbags that allows the boat to travel with great suspension and will also alow the trailer to sit on the ground. Like I said before this is a one of a kind. Oh by the way you can also see it on jetskiplanet.com there is alot of pictures during construction and finish product on this website.
craigerchoppers

craigerchoppers wrote:
madcowplumber wrote:First off, my first time posting on this forum. My name is Tom and I live in Kodiak, AK. I met a fellow up here 20 some years ago that built the aluminum skiff I bought and we became fast friends. He was a true welder and more importantly a great fitter and inventor. He knew aluminum. I only wish I had learned a quarter of what he knew.

Thank you for your compliments I have been in fabrication for some 35 years I have a web page http://www.craigerschoppers.com please vist and you can see my shop. Yes I have a stainless steel grade I made to keep rocks out of the jet unit. The weeds present no problems for the jet, and I have been told by a jetski mech that really don't need any protection at all. The boat is now up for sale and I am selling it for half the cost to build it. I have this boat in my show room and have not used it much at at all. New SBT motor and rebuilt pump and there is no wood at all in this boat. I have added alot of foam for flotation and quietness. If you have an interest in shallow running boats you can have this one for half the cost to build it. I also have a patented trailer with airbags that allows the boat to travel with great suspension and will also alow the trailer to sit on the ground. Like I said before this is a one of a kind. Oh by the way you can also see it on jetskiplanet.com there is alot of pictures during construction and finish product on this website.
I see that you are on line if you are interested my phone number is 931-729-9186