What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
MillwrightRWG
    Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:16 am

That do u guys think about using a old fridge for storing rod filler and wire if I put a 100 watt bulb inside and leave it on or have any better ideas .Its got to be better than a shelf in the shop I'm in Michigan and the humidy gets pretty high from time to time
Thanks
Ryan
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

That would certainly be better than nothing at all. Perhaps put some charcoal or calcium chloride in there as an additional dehumidifier.

With old refrigerators, the gaskets can sometimes be iffy so you may want to check that. I have kept rods in some pretty haphazard storage situations and as long as it wasn't left outdoors, it would be ok for awhile so your solution would probably be good for quite awhile.
Last edited by TamJeff on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
whiterabbit
    Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:15 pm

Wish I had a nickel for every shop I worked in that had an old fridge with a bulb in it for rod storage! :D
It works. Now don't ask if it's UL listed for that! :lol:
You might find that a 100 watt bulb is too much. 45-60 is what I've seen and used. It get's damn hot in there quick. You just want to keep the humidity down, not cook 'em.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Plus 1 on the fridge - most jobs I worked had that - in the summer a 40watt is plenty warm enough.

In my own fridge I have a wire wound ceramic heater - fits in a standard bulb fitting & can be found in most industrial switch gear / electrical cabinets to keep them free of condensation - I scored several while changing out some equipment in a small sub station - they also sell small tubular heaters for frost protection - either of these are available in different wattages & are better than the bulbs as they don't break ! - I did leave the little light that comes on when the door is open in mine so I can see to read the boxes more easily.
MillwrightRWG

Thanks for the replys great input
I will move on with your advice
Thanks
Ryan
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Recommend placing a cheap metal thermometer in there too.
MillwrightRWG

Ok sounds good just got the fridge cleaned up and going to get the light fixture at lunch
Thanks
Ryan
MillwrightRWG

Done
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (51.06 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (75.67 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
Cameronkrtz
    Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:05 am

That's the smarter way to reuse the old refrigerator. We are using it in our garage for storing the tools and other small stuff.