What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I'd like to ring the neck of the weldor for Circle D!!
Some flux core monkey with his lincoln duffle back must of welded this trailers dove tail!!!

I'll try and sort this out for you guys, shoulda got better pics, but oh well.

This is the back of the trailer.
The back "stand" has hinges and folds under to allow the back to drop.
The hinges were now welded on good at the top, they had 3 small tacks, so I was hired to fix it.
It was all tweeked out of shape, lots of realining and everything to make sure it would function good with out binding up...
IMG_0956.JPG
IMG_0956.JPG (103.81 KiB) Viewed 1486 times

The pieces of pipe on the ends of the "stand" wire shot, so I cut them off and flipped them around.

These have a pin that locks into them when the dovetail is up. simple abuse.
IMG_0954.JPG
IMG_0954.JPG (116 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
IMG_0955.JPG
IMG_0955.JPG (133.38 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Here's the underside.
Thats where the welds are supposed to be, but when this machine came out of the factory, these welds were garbage.
It was also off center, and shoddy work.
Took me quite a bit of work to get everything lined up and square.
Square, aligned, even, and level, and tack!!
IMG_0957.JPG
IMG_0957.JPG (49.06 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
IMG_0962.JPG
IMG_0962.JPG (103.17 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
IMG_0963.JPG
IMG_0963.JPG (87.45 KiB) Viewed 1484 times

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

I should have some more pics somewhere, but you get the picture.
It was a tough job, took me about 2 days.
It was one abused trailer.
Darn Cheap Farmers!! :roll:

But, we make our money off of other guy's mistakes.

~John.

Can you guys understand the pics good??
Need me explain it??

Thanks guys for this forum.
My home away from home.... :D

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Bad welds, great idea! A trailer with a hinged beaver tail would be most useful. My trailer needs a makeover, it is in good shape, but too narrow for my son's International Farmall M. Proper tongue weight means rear tires would sit on fender over rear trailer axle. I haven't figured a way to convert to a deck over without spending the price of a new trailer.
Any suggestions? It's an 8000 LB Quality with outboard wheels. OA width is 102.
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

I take it you are blaming the loose nut behind the flux core gun and not the process itself? LOL!
The problem with a lot of these fab shops is that they all have but a couple experienced welders
and a whole lot of green young guys. The mentality today is to pay as little as possible and get
the shit out and delivered as fast as possible! Who gives a shit if it lasts or not? Try hiring on
at some of these shops with 35+ years experience. Many won't hire someone with real experience
for fear of losing their top spot on the gravy train.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Yeah, I was in another state when my son called to say he found a new trailer like what I wanted. A long haul trucker was bringing them to VT to avoid coming home empty. I made the decision without seeing it. The model was Economy, A piece of crap! Hot rolled was painted red with no prep, or primer. Welds looked like a first timer with the cheapest flux core welder from Harbor Freight, using solid wire with no gas. It was rated as 7000 gross, but tire rating wasn't near that! The deck was fir with no preservative. Brakes only one axle. My friend took it, made a project out of making it useable, I resolved to do things different in future.

Bill Beauregard wrote:Bad welds, great idea! A trailer with a hinged beaver tail would be most useful. My trailer needs a makeover, it is in good shape, but too narrow for my son's International Farmall M. Proper tongue weight means rear tires would sit on fender over rear trailer axle. I haven't figured a way to convert to a deck over without spending the price of a new trailer.
Any suggestions? It's an 8000 LB Quality with outboard wheels. OA width is 102.
Bill,
Do you have a handful of pics of your trailer???

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

rake wrote:I take it you are blaming the loose nut behind the flux core gun and not the process itself? LOL!
The problem with a lot of these fab shops is that they all have but a couple experienced welders
and a whole lot of green young guys. The mentality today is to pay as little as possible and get
the shit out and delivered as fast as possible! Who gives a shit if it lasts or not? Try hiring on
at some of these shops with 35+ years experience. Many won't hire someone with real experience
for fear of losing their top spot on the gravy train.

rake,
I AM blaming Circle D for the shoddy work and poor welds on this trailer.

Their "supposed" to be one of the leading brands of trailers.

I'll take a Big Tex any day.

But this dovetail is back to functioning smoothly and will last for many more years.

~John :D

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
brokeitagain
    Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:16 am

I would say yes that was bad work, attacking them for bad work is bad on your part though, in my auto shop I do lots of repairs that other shops make but I never say anything bad about them in any manner, I let my work speak for itself,
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I will add my 2 cents here.
John, looks like you had your work cut out for you.

I agree with rake, most manufactures hire the "greenies" (no offence anyone) for a lot of their production. You have to understand, they can't/won't pay everyone premium wages therefore they are going to hire the kids out of welding school and give them the 5 minute training session and there you go. I am not defending manufactures and am not saying it is right/wrong, just pointing out the facts. I know of a company that puts out a lot of volume and satisfies their customers, but I have been in their facility and observed their products and have to say it is not all the best quality. Most of who they have are either young guns or Amish. Literally, their machines are set as high as possible and are told to fly. This is why you see products like this trailer. Concerning the low quality welds, I have heard the comment from a manufacturer, that although the welds do not look the best on the outside, they will hold. Remember, right, wrong, or indifferent, SOME big wigs only care about the bottom dollar and production.

brokeitagain- Although sometimes I am not the best at is, I do agree that one should refrain from putting down the competition. Like the SS tray I posted, I could have very easily told who it was and made complete fun of them, but I believe like you, that my work will speak for itself. While maybe not politically correct, John was in fact stating the obvious. Even with all that said we still have freedom of speech (for now)
-Jonathan
Last edited by Superiorwelding on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well,
What is wrong with saying that Sicilys has faster service and better pizza than Pizza hut????
A man the right to point out faults in something.
If I can't point out problems in something, I'm in the wrong line of work!!!

BTW,
Chinese hand tools are junk!!

Am I out of line???

~ :roll: John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
jimbob
    Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:05 pm

AKweldshop wrote:
BTW,
Chinese hand tools are junk!!

Am I out of line???

~ :roll: John

LMAO!!! :lol: never fails that when I have a crummy day I can get on here and find something that makes me laugh. My girlfriend thinks I'm nuts because I spend so much time watching Jody' s videos and reading as many posts here as I can. Mostly because I like to read and learn. And once in a while fall off my chair laughing.
And no your not out of line in my opinion they are junk. Good points by all on here as well I work at a shop that fired 35 guys about a year back " to slow down and focus on quality" it was mostly the guys with lots of time in who made decent money that got cut. I've trained 5 New guys right out of high school with little to no experience since. I think the big wigs miss the point sometimes.

I have the right to say if I like something or not!!!

I also have the right to say if something is junk or not.

If that's not allowed here, then there is no such thing as a review or feedback.

What is this world coming to???

~John

jimbob,
I know what your talking about.
Been around it to much.

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

AKweldshop wrote:
What is this world coming to???

~John.
The end! :D :lol:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

John,

You lost me, there.

Where were you challenged on your right to your opinion?

I didn't see it, or I'd have acted on it.

I want this forum to stay the great place it's been, and I will challenge anyone who screws with that.

Steve S

brokeitagain wrote:I would say yes that was bad work, attacking them for bad work is bad on your part though, in my auto shop I do lots of repairs that other shops make but I never say anything bad about them in any manner, I let my work speak for itself,
Superiorwelding wrote:I will add my 2 cents here.
John, looks like you had your work cut out for you.

I agree with rake, most manufactures hire the "greenies" (no offence anyone) for a lot of their production. You have to understand, they can't/won't pay everyone premium wages therefore they are going to hire the kids out of welding school and give them the 5 minute training session and there you go. I am not defending manufactures and am not saying it is right/wrong, just pointing out the facts. I know of a company that puts out a lot of volume and satisfies their customers, but I have been in their facility and observed their products and have to say it is not all the best quality. Most of who they have are either young guns or Amish. Literally, their machines are set as high as possible and are told to fly. This is why you see products like this trailer. Concerning the low quality welds, I have heard the comment from a manufacturer, that although the welds do not look the best on the outside, they will hold. Remember, right, wrong, or indifferent, SOME big wigs only
care about the bottom dollar and production.

brokeitagain- Although sometimes I am not the best at is, I do agree that one should refrain from putting down the competition. Like the SS tray I posted, I could have very easily told who it was and made complete fun of them, but I believe like you, that my work will speak for itself. While maybe not politically correct, John was in fact stating the obvious. Even with all that said we still have freedom of speech (for now)
-Jonathan
Steve,
Read these.
Maybe I got worked up, but really....

~John :roll:

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Yeah, John,

I think you were a li'l worked up. Johnathan defended your position, with the caveat he would't name the bad company. Brokeitagain said he wouldn't badmouth the other person/company either.

Yes, there was more to it than that, but nobody was poking you for saying what you think. Just expressing how they'd have said it in your situation.

Steve S

Yeah,
Upon re-read, I took it as a personal attack, but it was just a suggestion to refrain from company bashes.
Been around WW to much.
Oops there goes another bash. :?

Ok,
All is well that ends well....
All I can say in my defense, is that the Dovetail on that 24' Circle D trailer has been modified, and is gooder than new. :D

Jonathan, brokeitagain Steve,

My apologies,
And I will refrain in the future.
I got a Kenworth that needs fixed...
Those darn.....

~John :lol:

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
sling-it
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:10 am

I was rather happy when I went to put the box on my trailer. The two center supports for the override rail were in my way and had to be cut out to move. They were on there but good! I was impressed. It's a Ttrax.

sling-it wrote:I was rather happy when I went to put the box on my trailer. The two center supports for the override rail were in my way and had to be cut out to move. They were on there but good! I was impressed. It's a Ttrax.
I don't understand??

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
sling-it
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:10 am

AKweldshop wrote: I don't understand??
Just commenting on trailer welds. When I did my project for my trailer, I had to remove some factory welds (see trailer storage box). Apparently not all trailers are created equal, because these were a bear to get off.

sling-it wrote:
AKweldshop wrote: I don't understand??
Just commenting on trailer welds. When I did my project for my trailer, I had to remove some factory welds (see trailer storage box). Apparently not all trailers are created equal, because these were a bear to get off.

Ok,
Got ya.

I know what you mean, some "brands" of equipment are just a bear to work on.

But,

Everything has to be worked on sooner or later.

Don't make it harder than it seems.

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024