What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
KEJ76
    Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:42 am

Hello all. I'm wanting to build a welding table. My table top will be 4' x 6' x 1/2". I'm trying to decide if 2" x 2" x 3/16" square tubing will be sufficient enough to support the wieght of the table top or if I should use a larger size tubing, like, 3" x 3" or 4" x 4". Of course like all of us, I want to save as much $$$ as I can and not make this an expensive project, but I'm also factoring in my safety. I'm sure the table top wieghs around 5 or 6 hundred pounds. Look.forward to your input.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Ball park figure doing the math in my head is closer to 450 - the 2" * 2" will hold the weight up provided the legs are tied together or braced / gusseted - but the heavier you can afford the better - when you start wailing on something or have a big vise on it you'd be surprised how much it moves around & won't remain flat - the more supporting frame you add the better the bench in my opinion - if there are any fab shops around you maybe call in & see if they have any off cuts - even bits of channel or angle will work fine - some of my early benches were made of pylon parts - mostly angle iron - good heavy frame - but the galvanized was a pain - I also built one using the chassis of an old truck from a scrap yard - most of us when starting out did'nt have the luxury of using all new steel - just what we found ! a little lateral thinking may get you some recycled metal - good luck with the project.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

2x2 3/16 wall square tubing is plenty strong....

Are you putting a shelf underneath????

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I will post specifics later, but for now remember that your legs will almost always be in a column load therefore 1/8" wall will almost always be sufficient, until you exceed the given legs weight capacity.
-Jonathan
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Considering your table is 4x6, by 1/2inch thick, I'm guessing your going to get abusive.
But, 1/8 wall is tough, vertical

I've got a 5x5, (I think), of 1/2 inch steel, thinking of turning it into a table.

I've got lots of 2inch by 1/8 wall square tubing for legs, should support a 1,000lbs....
I think I'll put big casters on it....
And a vice, oh got get that one fixed....
OP,
Do you have some misc pics of your table project???

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
KEJ76

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I think I'll go with the 2x2 tubing. I sat down today and figured up how I'll brace it and frame it up. 2x2 should be perfect. Where's a good place to find locking swivel casters? The kind that licks the swivel part, including the wheel. Lowes clearly does not have what I need.
KEJ76

....locks.... not 'licks'. Stupid phone!!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The McMaster-Carr or Grainger catalogues will have the kind of casters you're after.

Try looking at Tractor Supply Co. first, though. If they have something that will serve, you'll save a ton.

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

KEJ76 wrote:Hey guys, thanks for the input. I think I'll go with the 2x2 tubing. I sat down today and figured up how I'll brace it and frame it up. 2x2 should be perfect. Where's a good place to find locking swivel casters? The kind that licks the swivel part, including the wheel. Lowes clearly does not have what I need.
I use Caster Connection in Columbus, OH. Don't know if they sell to the public though.
-Jonathan
    Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am

Love the question. It raises issues central to a lot of work I do -- "inventing" solutions to everyday questions like supporting floors, tables, roofs, etc. And I pretend to have learned some "scientific engineering of simple structures" to supplement my history and "done it before" approach. I am one of those dangerous buggers, with a little knowledge stretched too far.

My own welding table is about the same dimensions as yours. I live in a metric world, and I have used 50 mm shs to frame the table and a shelf. Wall thickness is 2 mm, top is 13 mm steel, and the weighs 140 kg. (Get a second opinion on the weight of your proposed top, for it seems way too heavy for the dimensions you offered.) All in all, our projects are very similar. Make sure you include a low shelf and full frame under the table-top. My shelf is 2mm plate, and is (a) fully framed, and (b) 80% area of the table.

My four locking casters cost more than the new tube I used for the frame, so I am interested in how your costs work out. (My top was second hand from a manufacturer of fire places, etc). Get decent casters, very decent.

What your question misses, I think, is what will be placed on the table. But, in a way, this is just a point of interest: I have loaded mine with machinery weighing some 300 kg, and pushed it around my shop. So, (1) you need to think of the loads on the table, as well as the weight of the table itself; but (2) my experience is you will find the table is very strong and take, probably, more than you can (if you have the lifting tools to put something heavy on your table, the table can carry it).

The business of calculating the stress the table will take is quite fun, (even if one can never be absolutely certain the calcs are right).
    Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:58 pm

If you've got the room you might as well go with a 4x8x 1/2" table cause if you have to buy it ,your almost for sure paying for the whole sheet.especially if they have to cut it for ya.(sheer). Now bout your caster idea ,do you really need to push your table to your work? You might ,so the casters that you need for a bonifid welding table are gonna be pricey . Don't go cheap!your also gunna loose that dead blow hit on the table with casters comparied straight to the concret with legs. Another idea if your table Must roll ,,is to have your casters fold up after moving and all the posts support your table.Just giving you my opinion ,we have two heavy tables one is 4x8 an one is 4x10 .both 1/2 " no casters ! Only moved the tables for Our Annual Christmas party! Then we move it with the fork truck. LOVE our Tables. Remember , your gunna make a livin on it.
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

KEJ76 wrote:Where's a good place to find locking swivel casters? The kind that licks the swivel part, including the wheel. Lowes clearly does not have what I need.
Home Depot, believe it or not. In 3" and 4" red polyurethane. About $8 for the 3" ones; I just used some for a stand, and I'm very pleased with them. Having the swivel lock makes a big difference.

Cheers,
Richard
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!