What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

I plan to make some tool stands with Big Truck Brake drums for the base.
I really like this one I found online...
9860613214_01a9fd0e15_o.jpg
9860613214_01a9fd0e15_o.jpg (89.11 KiB) Viewed 7788 times
12444902385_c3bc3dc8a7_b.jpg
12444902385_c3bc3dc8a7_b.jpg (90.37 KiB) Viewed 7788 times
The cast drums are about 110lbs and the pipe is about 8" diameter.
Is it possible to weld this with MIG, using lots of very short welds or is it better to try stick? I want to avoid the Pre-heat process. For the MIG, is it better to use stainless wire?

Glen
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

With that mass of cast without pre-heat I think the weld would be very hard / brittle - almost certainly will leave an acceptable looking weld - but over time & heavy use it will crack - it's more work but I would say the better solution is to cut a steel disc out of suitable size - weld this to the upright ( maybe with a gusset or 3 ) then bolt the drum on using the original stud holes - a few years back there was a craze around here for making wood burning stoves out of large brake drums - no matter how they were welded everyone I saw cracked - I realize there are some heat cyclic issues here as well - but some things just don't like to be welded.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

My preference is to use steel wheels from heavy trucks. Same effect, broader base, and easily welded steel.

Here's an example from another topic up at the same time:
http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=9&t=5228

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:My preference is to use steel wheels from heavy trucks. Same effect, broader base, and easily welded steel.

Here's an example from another topic up at the same time:
http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=9&t=5228

Steve S
Thanks, Steve

I'll have to look into the availability of the wheels...
My drums were free! I can always go the bolt a base plate method
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150

Ok, finally got a start on the first stand! :D
ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by GlenC on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glen
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Glen,
Looking good. I see you started to tig over your mig weld, that mig weld looks a little cold. Can't wait to see the finished product.
-Jonathan

no TIG over the MIG... What you see is a second pass with the MIG.... That's all the power I have.... The pipe is 6" Sched 40, .288" and 3/8" plate... The Hobart 150 at #4 ~29V and ~300ipm .035 wire.
Glen

Glen,
Wow, that left side sure looks like tig from here. If that's the case good mig like tig.
Well you already have it welded, otherwise I would offer suggestions to help with the heat. Keep on keeping on.
-Jonathan

I can always use help! I have more of these I'm going to do. I neet to look at proper techniques, settings and procedures... Hobart 150 or Dynasty 200dx is what I have to use. Haven't done stick before!
Glen

GlenC wrote:I can always use help! I have more of these I'm going to do. I neet to look at proper techniques, settings and procedures... Hobart 150 or Dynasty 200dx is what I have to use. Haven't done stick before!
Since your metal is clean, I would use the Dynasty for the control and amps. Don't get my wrong, the welds will hold fine. If you use the mig I was going to suggest a slight preheat. Another suggestion, for both procedures, grind off the mill scale. See how the weld has cold lap or lack of penetration on the toes? Grinding scale will actually help with that.
Just some thoughts.
-Jonathan

So multipass with TIG?
Glen

Single will be plenty. How thick is that plate? If it is 1/4" or under you are golden. Of course you could put a root in and then walk the cup just for the practice and bragging rights.
-Jonathan

I was also thinking of cutting the hole in the 3/8" plate larger so the pipe slips inside. Wouldn't that aide the penetration .... guess I could cut it same size and have an outside corner weld from the inside and a fillet around the outside...
Glen

Walking the cup.... well that's what this is all about .... having fun and playing with the new toys!
Glen

For fun you can cut a hole so the pipe just slips through and put the pipe flush with the bottom of the plate. Then you can practice fusing the pipe to plate and still practice walking the cup on the top. Waste of gas and filler but it would be good practice.
-Jonathan

It took me 14 years to use the last bottle of argon! Hope I live long enough to use this one! I did weld thisone eith the plate bolted to the drum to minimize distortion. Since the pipe is 6" and the hole in the drum is 8+" , I didn't think that would effect penetration.
Glen

I quickly made a mount for the saw so I could use it...Image
Glen

Another angle... Amazing how stable it is and not all that difficult to move...Image
Glen
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Looks good, I wish I wouldn't have mounted my saw to the wall, I found a few times where that stand would be handy. :D
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

GlenC wrote:Another angle... Amazing how stable it is and not all that difficult to move...Image

That's a nice stand mate.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

mcoe wrote:Looks good, I wish I wouldn't have mounted my saw to the wall, I found a few times where that stand would be handy. :D
Build a stand and take it off the wall! :D It is so nice to finally have it off the ground! I need to check to see if the Makita Abrasive saw fits in the base....
Glen