What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I have a couple of projects in mind that require metal framing.
I do a lot of research and finally found what I'm looking for.
On Monday, I bought the steel arches from an old Fabric covered quonset.

My plan is to build a 36ft diameter round domed greenhouse with a 20ft high ceiling.
This is part of an experiment on vertical gardening.

The remaining steel arches will be used as the roof for a shipping container garage/workshop.
The garage will be constructed from two 40ft shipping containers spaced 20ft apart.
I'm going to cut the walls off of a 20ft shipping container as my end plates.
These 20ft walls should bolt up perfectly with the corner brackets on the 40ft containers.

The steel arches from the fabric quonset will be used as the roof frame to cover the 20ft gap.
I haven't decided on which material to cover the roof arches with, but that will come in time.
Rtaylor777
    Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:40 pm

Cool sounding project. I saved the steel framework (pipes) from the portable garage that I had to turf due to constantly blowing away in the wind. The pipes are a little thin but I think I will come up with some use for them.

Share some pictures of your project :)
I use a Multiplaz 3500 welder/cutter https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en# ... iplaz-3500
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Here are a few photos of the raw materials, I've not started the project yet.
There are 13 complete loops, comprised of 3 sections per arch.
Two arch sections are 23ft across with a 4ft rise. The top section is 13ft across.
Rtaylor777 wrote:Cool sounding project. I saved the steel framework (pipes) from the portable garage that I had to turf due to constantly blowing away in the wind. The pipes are a little thin but I think I will come up with some use for them. Share some pictures of your project :)
Attachments
Fabric Quonset.jpg
Fabric Quonset.jpg (19.12 KiB) Viewed 714 times
Steel Arches.jpg
Steel Arches.jpg (59.13 KiB) Viewed 714 times