What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
flyinfairlane
    Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:48 pm

2013-07-25_17-36-22_266.jpg
2013-07-25_17-36-22_266.jpg (26.08 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
Some motor mounts I made for a local truck puller.
flyinfairlane

2013-07-25_17-34-04_815.jpg
2013-07-25_17-34-04_815.jpg (35.57 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
Another pic
flyinfairlane

2013-07-25_17-58-55_75.jpg
2013-07-25_17-58-55_75.jpg (35.04 KiB) Viewed 1277 times
Another pic
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

That's just sweet! Nice engineering, nice design, and nice welds.

I gather, from your moniker and your posts, you're building a Ford Fairlane-based drag car, or at least a high-performance street/strip?

Steve S
flyinfairlane

Yeah I have a 66 fairlane big block car. I've had it since I was 16. I have drag raced it in the past but it's mainly a street toy. I'm also restoring a 79 bronco that's gonna be transplanted with a 7.3 powerstroke. So yes I'm also a gearhead, mainly a Ford guy but I like anything that's American v-8 muscle.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Nicely done :D

...and I'm diggin the powerstroke Bronco idea!
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:13 pm

Totally dig your motor mounts.
Bomp aka Greg
Dragster Guy
    Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:19 am

Sweet they are very nice.
Performance Metal Works
Pasadena MD
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

My buddy (best man at my wedding) had a '78 Bronco with the 351W, 4-speed, 4" lift, and 36" tires.

I built much of it for/with him, and had my own key.

There were a lot of fun miles put on that.

I think the 7.3 would be interesting on the trails... Maybe a three-range gearbox to make the most of the torque?

I'd like to hear more about your project!

Steve S
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Interesting concept - but radically heavy & more torque than I think is good for it - if it's got that strange hinged in the middle axle concept I doubt that would live long ( and that's without trying a Dukes of Hazard ! if I'm picturing the right model ) rear end also is way under spec'd - if the width is about the same maybe find an F350 or better & score a pair of Dana 60's - even then it's a bunch of torque - not familiar with the newer stuff but I think generally that motor would have the Sterling 10.5" rear - love to see some pictures - if the width does'nt bother you maybe a Rockwell 2.5 ton would be the hot ticket - I just sold a pair of Unimog axles to a guy for something similar.
flyinfairlane

The bronco will have one ton axles under it. Sterling 10.25 rear and a Dana 60 front. The 7.3 will be all computerized and super reliable. These engines are known for lasting a million miles. I have owned a few and love them. Also, I think it will get around 22 mpg on the highway with the over drive transmission. It's gonna be a play toy with not much off-road use. Something the whole family can enjoy. We go to the outer banks every year for vacation and I would like to be able to drive it there with no worries. It's fun to go to the 4x4 beach and drive to the Virginia state line. I will also be making a custom roll cage for it. Probably won't be driven here much in the winter so the top will normally be off of it.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

That sounds like it's going to be a real sweet ride when done - I'm quite envious - I hope the budget allows for real 4wd like air locker both ends - I hate it when guys have monster motors like blown big blocks but cannot put any power down except on tarmac ! I never had the 7.3 but I have seen them with huge mileage going strong - but then IH does build good engines - only thing I don't like is the computer bit - if your after modern electronic maximum MPG why not use a late model powerstroke - me I liked the 7.3 because it was basic - if you have a little " prepper " in you this means you can work on it yourself & as long as it will spin over & has fuel it will start - mechanical injection diesels are still what I like & I think that mileage is achievable with an " old school " engine depending on tires & gearing - look forward to some updates on the project.
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Lesson of the day: the older mechanical 7.3's were not the "powerstroke." Most refer to them as the idi.
Mains reasons for powerstroke over idi: power, reliability, parts availability, easier diagnostics, etc.
Flyinfairlane, what are you using on those mounts for the inserts?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

It looks like red polyurethane, but that's just me. I'm sure you could find an Energy Suspension spec/part number sheet that would offer ID/OD of their bushings and order accordingly if you wanted to do something similar.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
brokeitagain
    Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:16 am

79jasper wrote:Lesson of the day: the older mechanical 7.3's were not the "powerstroke." Most refer to them as the idi.
Mains reasons for powerstroke over idi: power, reliability, parts availability, easier diagnostics, etc.
Flyinfairlane, what are you using on those mounts for the inserts?

im going to guess those are leaf spring bushings from energy suspension, probably for a chevy s-10, that's what I always use. they don't hold up long but they are readily available
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

What gear ratio are you using to get 22mpg from a 7.3?
I'm lucky to get 19 out of mine, 14 is more of an average.
For the best fuel mileage, your highway speed should be at 1800rpm or less.
Keeping the weight down is the best trick. My crewcab 4X4 flatdeck truck is almost 8,000lbs.

My 12valve Cummins is giving me 28mpg, but that's another story.
If you straight pipe the exhaust, the turbo will eat most of the noise.
Large diameter, narrow tires can help to compensate the axle ratio.
Remove all but the necessary accessories from the drive belt, helps too.
flyinfairlane wrote:The bronco will have one ton axles under it. Sterling 10.25 rear and a Dana 60 front. The 7.3 will be all computerized and super reliable. These engines are known for lasting a million miles. I have owned a few and love them. Also, I think it will get around 22 mpg on the highway with the over drive transmission. It's gonna be a play toy with not much off-road use. Something the whole family can enjoy. We go to the outer banks every year for vacation and I would like to be able to drive it there with no worries. It's fun to go to the 4x4 beach and drive to the Virginia state line. I will also be making a custom roll cage for it. Probably won't be driven here much in the winter so the top will normally be off of it.
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

That's what I thought, which is why I asked him, to maybe get an exact answer. Lol [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT]
Bronco will be quite a bit lighter than a crew cab truck.
I see 22 mpg being pretty easy, maybe even more.
Straight pipe would be fairly loud, with the shorter wheel base of a bronco.