What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

rick9345 wrote:beware metal scratchs break surface tension on tempered glass and then can shatter( think side glass in a car (crumble)
rubber mounts for tempered for safety
safety glass or polycarbonate might be a better choice

DAMM nice Table and ceative (shop or patio?)
I had been thinking of that might do a very thin piece of poly under the glass to serve as a buffer.

It is going to be on the front patio under cover so wont be really exposed to the element which is nice, but clear coated the whole thing regardless.
DSM8

TRACKRANGER wrote:DSM8, how did you finally attach the center pole to the hubs, top and bootom
Thanks
Trev
I notched the pole to conform to the profile of the hub then welded tabs on to it through which I ran grade 8 nuts and bolts.

here you can see the notching

and how it was tabbed and bolted together

Sorry pic came out blurry

Because of how it was fitted to the hub the bolts are actually under very little stress and just serve to keep it all solid, the three legs (gears legs) are welded to the top and bottom so in reality the bolts don't serve any function at this point other than to hold it together prior to welding.

This was how the gears were brazed in place to the top.

Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Nice job, and like you suggest, the bolts perform the same function, but much easier to implement.
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
DSM8

TRACKRANGER wrote:Nice job, and like you suggest, the bolts perform the same function, but much easier to implement.
If I wanted easier I would not have used sched 40 pipe...
:shock:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

DSM8 wrote:
TRACKRANGER wrote:Nice job, and like you suggest, the bolts perform the same function, but much easier to implement.
I would love to drink a beer with you at that table.

Not sure what to expect for stools, though...

Steve S
DSM8

Otto Nobedder wrote:
DSM8 wrote:
I would love to drink a beer with you at that table.

Not sure what to expect for stools, though...

Steve S
Shopping for some of these right now to makes seats out of:

F^@king perfect.

I like that a lot.

Set of four?

Steve S
DSM8

Finally got the glass and the finished product is on the porch. Still shopping for the cast iron tractor seats to make chairs out of, if you got one please shoot me a message.

DSM8,

That's f'ing awesome! I love the end result.

I can't wait to see what you come up with for a set of chairs for that!

Steve S
Jonty_B
    Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:09 pm

Oh wow this is so cool, somewhat stupidly I've shown this to the missus who's words were 'Hey, you can start making me stuff like this at your new job, can't you?' I've gotta learn to keep it shut sometimes :lol:

Any clues on how much it's weighing in at? I'd imagine it's not in any danger of being knocked over, that's for sure.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

That came out awesome, thumbs up!

Jonty_B wrote:Oh wow this is so cool, somewhat stupidly I've shown this to the missus who's words were 'Hey, you can start making me stuff like this at your new job, can't you?' I've gotta learn to keep it shut sometimes :lol:
If you have come to the stage were the things you make are allowed in your house you have come far. And, you have easier getting away with tool buys in the future when making some things for the mrs ;)
DSM8

Jonty_B wrote:Oh wow this is so cool, somewhat stupidly I've shown this to the missus who's words were 'Hey, you can start making me stuff like this at your new job, can't you?' I've gotta learn to keep it shut sometimes :lol:

Any clues on how much it's weighing in at? I'd imagine it's not in any danger of being knocked over, that's for sure.
It weighs in someplace north of 200lbs

The top wheel alone was about 100 lbs. So having it stable was a priority.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

I guess I have to ask. Where did all the gears come from? They look something like motorcycle size, with lots of evidence of dog drive gear changes. There sure is a lot of them!
Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
DSM8

TRACKRANGER wrote:I guess I have to ask. Where did all the gears come from? They look something like motorcycle size, with lots of evidence of dog drive gear changes. There sure is a lot of them!
Trev
I disassembled about 8 motorcycle transmissions, that was the only source I could locate that had the variety of sizes and thickness I was looking for.
Sure have a whole bunch of transmission drive shafts left over need to make something out of now..

:lol:
Jonty_B
    Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:09 pm

DSM8 wrote: I disassembled about 8 motorcycle transmissions, that was the only source I could locate that had the variety of sizes and thickness I was looking for.
Sure have a whole bunch of transmission drive shafts left over need to make something out of now..

Candelabras to go on the table ;)
DSM8

Jonty_B wrote:
DSM8 wrote: I disassembled about 8 motorcycle transmissions, that was the only source I could locate that had the variety of sizes and thickness I was looking for.

Candelabras to go on the table ;)

Glass top so umm I veto that idea..
Besides this sits outside in front patio, something small and cool like that would be tempting to take.
If they take the table they can have it, need three people to move that damn thing.

danielbuck
    Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm

I love it! It touches my love of re-using old stuff :)
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

Plus it just looks cool. 8-)
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid