What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

I love it! The old shop, operated by the old man, who does all and knows it all! AND!! I bet that shop owner can pinpoint some obscure part that he set down in a particular place five years ago …. Because the man knows his space! Great welds, great work. Problem solving, what the USA is all about!
Hollywood1
    Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:05 am

Nice welds!
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

You make every job look like an adventure, John, set against picture postcard scenery.

Awesome.

Kym
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

He does that on purpose you know. That way people see the snow topped mountain and say oh my what a great weld. ;)
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Cant wait for his winter work photos, average high temp 18C over summer.
Bugger that.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Some jackass with Alaska plates cut me off just this morning. These pictures prove it wasn't you... :lol:

I agree, nicely done. A creative solution, a fast solution, and some very nice 7018 work as usual. Who's the bearded gentleman? Family, friend, co-worker?

Steve S

Thanks,
And per your question on the bearded guy, I guess you could say a little of each.

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Hollywood1 wrote:Nice welds!
Thanks man.
MosquitoMoto wrote:You make every job look like an adventure, John, set against picture postcard scenery.

Awesome.

Kym
My pleasure, as well as any viewers, if they feel so inclined.
Coldman wrote:He does that on purpose you know. That way people see the snow topped mountain and say oh my what a great weld. ;)
That's funny bro.
:)
ex framie wrote:Cant wait for his winter work photos, average high temp 18C over summer.
Bugger that.
Yup.
Boomer63 wrote:I love it! The old shop, operated by the old man, who does all and knows it all! AND!! I bet that shop owner can pinpoint some obscure part that he set down in a particular place five years ago …. Because the man knows his space! Great welds, great work. Problem solving, what the USA is all about!
Thanks for the enthusiasm. :D

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

TRACKRANGER wrote:
Kentweld wrote:At picture 5 and 6, why do you weld in two different directions? Is it to avoid distortion or something?
My guess (and it's only a guess) is that he simply ran out of electrode, and just started again from the other end so as to finish over the top of the previous weld. John will come back with the real reason though.

Trev
An engineer, a doctor, and a lawyer out hunting got caught in bad weather. They came upon a cabin, finding it unlocked they went inside to wait out the storm.The wood stove they found was built up 3' above the floor. They discussed among themselves why it might be so. The doctor felt it was better for one's back to not bend over to put wood in. The engineer felt it maximized the efficiency, sleeping in the loft, it wouldn't need wood all night. The lawyer felt it was for safety, out of reach of small children, or above propane fumes in a lamp leak.

The owner arrived home, after explaining their predicament, they asked about the stove.

"Ran out of stove pipe" was his response.
ttreb4
    Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 am

Nice welding. I hope to keep practicing enough to someday lay down beads like those. I do have a question/comment.

Why not center mount the winch or do you intend to always use a snatch block?

The older gentleman appears to be trying to feed the line onto the spool as you're pulling the tractor onto the trailer. I assume you're aware of the energy that builds into the cable as it tightens. I've seen these lines snap and literally split hoods and roofs of vehicles. It would be well worth you or your friends life to place a coat or blanket over the cables, in the center, to absorb the energy if the lines break. Your other option is to replace the steel line with synthetic rope.

ttreb4 wrote:Nice welding. I hope to keep practicing enough to someday lay down beads like those. I do have a question/comment.

Why not center mount the winch or do you intend to always use a snatch block?

The older gentleman appears to be trying to feed the line onto the spool as you're pulling the tractor onto the trailer. I assume you're aware of the energy that builds into the cable as it tightens. I've seen these lines snap and literally split hoods and roofs of vehicles. It would be well worth you or your friends life to place a coat or blanket over the cables, in the center, to absorb the energy if the lines break. Your other option is to replace the steel line with synthetic rope.

We use a snatch block all the time.

Bought this bus at an action 50 miles from home.
Hauled it.

That winch sure is handy.
And for the guy that asked, it layers great.
I had all the cable spooled out.
It coiled up all by itself.

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Bill Beauregard

Are you starting a school, or is it a hay hauler? I'm pleased to see it's a diesel. I have a 427 tall block in a C65. The gas engine could do with more power, and it's expensive to run. Perhaps in Alaska diesels are hard starting, You'd prefer gas. 427 starts on third revolution at 0 F

You'd be in good company in Mount Tabor right now. The Rainbow Family of Living Light is here. Old school busses seem to be the preferred form of transportation. Clean out the cellar, all the part cans of paint must be thrown on the buss before they will like it. Numbers expected to reach over 10,000 hippies by the 30th. Quite too many for a town of 200 residents!

Willie
Bill Beauregard

You see I'm an electrician, I misspelled bus.

Bill Beauregard wrote:Are you starting a school, or is it a hay hauler? I'm pleased to see it's a diesel. I have a 427 tall block in a C65. The gas engine could do with more power, and it's expensive to run. Perhaps in Alaska diesels are hard starting, You'd prefer gas. 427 starts on third revolution at 0 F

You'd be in good company in Mount Tabor right now. The Rainbow Family of Living Light is here. Old school busses seem to be the preferred form of transportation. Clean out the cellar, all the part cans of paint must be thrown on the buss before they will like it. Numbers expected to reach over 10,000 hippies by the 30th. Quite too many for a town of 200 residents!

Willie

It's actually insulated and wired with a generator (6.5kw Honda). Shower stall too :)

350v8 gas, allison auto C60

Couldn't get it running to drive it on the trailer, so we brought the winch.

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Nice photo set as always John despite the weather looking like ours & we should be right into hay at the moment !so you planning on living in the bus like Parker Schnabel ?

@ Bill - is it me or did anyone else think of CW McCall crispy critters ?

Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Noddy that's just what I needed to hear today! Well Done!
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Bill Beauregard

If I lived a mile away from hippie central that'd be hilarious.

I just came from a town meeting where 10 law officers told 85 residents there isn't much they can do. If you have a specific problem call our call prevention hotline. You'll be on hold for a time before you get to talk to someone in another state who is utterly disinterested in your problem. Oh, by the way, we have no jurisdiction for any crime committed outside the boundaries of national forest. Residents who have gone up the mountain complained of being stopped by hippies, and asked for money, or drugs. One of 15 Rainbows present denied they were Rainbows. None of them have names. The only one who chose to identify herself was Feather.

My quadriplegic neighbor lost his garbage last night. He's been an outspoken advocate for medical marijuana, and legalized recreational marijuana. He is paid by the State Of Vermont to smoke, and evaluate weed. I suspect word got out what might be found in his garbage. While I disagree with liberal politics, shouldn't garbage be sacred?

Willie
Bsmith
    Wed May 25, 2016 7:38 pm

Bill Beauregard wrote:If I lived a mile away from hippie central that'd be hilarious.

I just came from a town meeting where 10 law officers told 85 residents there isn't much they can do. If you have a specific problem call our call prevention hotline. You'll be on hold for a time before you get to talk to someone in another state who is utterly disinterested in your problem. Oh, by the way, we have no jurisdiction for any crime committed outside the boundaries of national forest. Residents who have gone up the mountain complained of being stopped by hippies, and asked for money, or drugs. One of 15 Rainbows present denied they were Rainbows. None of them have names. The only one who chose to identify herself was Feather.

My quadriplegic neighbor lost his garbage last night. He's been an outspoken advocate for medical marijuana, and legalized recreational marijuana. He is paid by the State Of Vermont to smoke, and evaluate weed. I suspect word got out what might be found in his garbage. While I disagree with liberal politics, shouldn't garbage be sacred?

Willie
So they stole his garbage to see if he had any smoke. Idiots, to think he'd throw his stash away.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

LMFAO!

This is the last place I'd have expected a C.W. McCall reference of any kind, much less, "Crispy Critters..."

:lol:

I grew up on those truck-driver songs. Wolf Creek Pass gets stuck in my head from time to time, and "Ol' Sloan" will still make my eyes moist.

Steve S
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I get songs / lyrics pop up in my head as a kinda response to all manor of things ( and they often won't go away so please don't anyone mention that bird is the word ! )- some people get it - some hate it but it seemed appropriate - glad some of you like CW Mccall - I always remember " classified " as I bought a similar truck years back - really must download some music - most of mine is on tape or vinyl which is'nt much good these days - I miss the old stuff - modern " music " really is'nt !

@ Bill - sorry to hear it was a bit near the mark for you - best stock up on 12gauge 0000 buck !