What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
tschmitt
    Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:26 pm

I have a Lincoln Tombstone Buzzbox that I am trying to build a cart for. I have an idea on what I would like to build but not sure if it will work. I am a student and I've only gone as far as vertical SMAW so I don't have that much experience and was wondering if anyone could help me figure if what I'm thinking wil work. I want a 11"x24" base to put it on and probably about 36"-42" high shelves on one side of it. The only machine that I have access to my buzzbox because the semester just ended. Any ideas or tips?
Attachments
This is an example of what I am wanting to look like,  with the empty front space where my machine would go
This is an example of what I am wanting to look like, with the empty front space where my machine would go
Screenshot_2015-12-04-14-04-40.png (677.68 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." VINCE LOMBARDI

On his YouTube channel, not surprisingly also named Welding Tips and Tricks :D , Jody has a 5 video series about building a welding cart. His was for a TIG machine, but you can probably get some useful ideas from it. Just go to "Playlists" and look for "Welding Cart Project".
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Bugel
    Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:52 pm

Small work space need a smaller foot print cart that is why i build it as compact as possible..

Here is a better view..

Later on i removed the wire spool in both sides..reeling the cable in empty spool is pain in the ass :mrgreen:

tschmitt

I like it. For lack of a better term would it be recommended to weld one on ac?
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." VINCE LOMBARDI
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

tschmitt,
You can definitely make a cart with an A/C only welder. My suggestion would be to weld all the welds in the flat position. This will involve moving the part quite often but it shouldn't be heavy or that awkward to do.

Most folks don't recommend using 6013 rods, but this would be a perfect job for them if the metal is clean. 6013 rods makes a very nice bead in the flat position on butt welds.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Braehill wrote:tschmitt,
You can definitely make a cart with an A/C only welder. My suggestion would be to weld all the welds in the flat position. This will involve moving the part quite often but it shouldn't be heavy or that awkward to do.

Most folks don't recommend using 6013 rods, but this would be a perfect job for them if the metal is clean. 6013 rods makes a very nice bead in the flat position on butt welds.

Len
Agreed....flows like butter, very easy to weld for the beginner.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
tschmitt

I like the 6013 on AC, used them at the end of the semester for jobs to to try them. Hopefully I'll get everything taken care of this week and post some pictures of a buzzbox cart.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

6013's will work fine.
Your buzz box will work fine.
The cart project will teach you a lot and is small enough to move it around and well in the flat position.
Think about it, draw it up and have at it.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
tschmitt

This is what I have for a base but without thinking twice I made it 22 inches wide and forgot my machine was only 17, any ideas how to make it work? Thinking of spacing a 1 inch piece of flat bar across and then putting a piece of angle iorn behind it but not sure how it will work.
Attachments
20151217_132910.jpg
20151217_132910.jpg (37.79 KiB) Viewed 2927 times
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Hate to say it, but I'd be cutting and welding it back to 17 inch width.

Inconvenient right now, sure, but not as inconvenient as living with a cart that would always be 5 inches too wide.

Kym
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Drop a flat 1/4 in plate in there. You'll get a flat surface and some weight to keep it from tipping over.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
tschmitt

I decided to leave it at 22 and I know it's not the greatest thing ever but for my first cart and at home project I like it
Attachments
20160104_183017.jpg
20160104_183017.jpg (45.76 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
    Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:39 pm

tschmitt wrote:I decided to leave it at 22 and I know it's not the greatest thing ever but for my first cart and at home project I like it
We all start somewhere. Having been welding on and off over the last decade as a trade, not as a profession; the carts and tables I made in the past that were replaced mainly due to expanding my equipment, I can look back at the first ones comparing the welds and how they were fabricated to gauge how far I have progressed.
ifit
  • ifit
    Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:15 am

I built this about 10 years ago. It's a little smaller but weighs just as much.
Attachments
P1010032.JPG
P1010032.JPG (95.98 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
P1010029.JPG
P1010029.JPG (82.96 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
P1010030.JPG
P1010030.JPG (84.89 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
Bugel
    Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:52 pm

Nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ifit,

Is that the export version of the old Lincoln tombstone? I've never seen one in that case before and it's not on the US Lincoln website.

Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
ProStar O/A torch
ifit
  • ifit
    Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:15 am

I think it is. I don't have it anymore, sold it & got a Miller AC/DC welder.

ifit wrote:I think it is. I don't have it anymore, sold it & got a Miller AC/DC welder.
Thanks. It was a clean design. A lot more modern looking than the traditional tombstone.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
ProStar O/A torch