What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
stefan

Had been considering using 6.1M x 2.2m Sheet but unsure how to handle. Would reduce welding considerably, At worst will use 2.4m x 1.2M sheet - easy handling but significant increse in welding. Can get the 6.1M sheet 1.2m wide or at 1.8m wide.

the handling of the longer sheet is the problem so am designing a lifting system, if it's feasible will save me considerable time/ warping issues/ and consequently money
Matt Sellers
    Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:23 pm

I used to be First Mate on Cuan Law a 110' Ali Trimaran based in the BVI. The owner/designer Duncan Muirhead's first Tri was a 65' plywood/glass design. He always claimed (and I don't doubt it) that at the time they were the biggest built. The last address I had: Trimarine Box 3069 Rd Town Tortola BVI, I haven't heard from him in a while but drop him a line, REALLY knowledgeable guy.

Did a haul out on Lammer Law the 100' Ali sister ship based in the Galapagos. The original welder, a Spanish born Canadian nick named the Aluminium sewing machine came out of retirement and met us in Guayaquil, guy was amazing, did all the welding using a spool gun off a big pipe welding generator.

Rather than drive through the rudder why not use the outer hulls? Just a thought.
stefan

Thanks for the leed. Have been considering positioning props on AMA's and come up with the following

pros - if all else fails can use for steerage. particularly in marina
-

cons/ issues - balancing power output while underway
- power drain on hydraulic system (more you spread it the slower each part goes) May need bigger APU but can establish with hydraulics plan.
-drag ( is a cruiser - who cares) or could be made retractable

outcome
going to start with main prop in rudder main hull. Additionally have two smaller props on AMA's possibly with additonal rudders. will only use when neccessary then. Achieves all options.

For the props will source some broken outboard motors (blown motors). Remove motors and add hydraulic drives. Keeps crown above waterline (for leakage and inspection purposes, keeps waterpumps intact for pumping salt water holding tank and or flushing grey/black water systems. easily attach/build into rudder as they're usually alloy.. Parts are readily accessible and keeps costs down.

Still trying to figure cross members and keels.