What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Awesome work. Something to be proud of.

Kym
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Probably just used what he had, the load is at the ground connection point and it looks like TS4x4 doesn't need to be heavy wall unless the gate is massive/heavy which is rare. The way we usually do it on post gates (opposed) to masonry columns, etc. is we send a field measure crew out and while they are there they layout, dig the post footings, pour them and sink an embed plate with nelson studs in them (couple inches below grade). This not only prevents having to brace the post in both axis for plumb while concrete is setting up, it gives us a little wiggle room if there are small measurement "issues" on install.

When we go out for install we set our posts on the embeds, tack, plumb, weld where they need to be as far as spacing. Seal and back fill. And if someone accidentally backs into your post and bends it, you can just whack it off with a torch at the embed and install another one.

PS And now I know you re-worked the existing gate makes it even more impressive. Gate number 1 for portfolio.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
sru_tx
    Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:53 pm

DLewis, that first paragraph was quite an education. I looked up Nelson studs, embed plates, etc. thanks.

yep, one full-size gate and one small gate for the portfolio. Time to start building that portfolio.

I'm not sure if I explained my question well enough or if I just completely missed your point. I wasn't looking at the 4x4 thickness, it was the 2x2s. The vertical end pieces of the original gate appeared to be 14 gauge and the horizontals were all 11 gauge.
Figuring out what I want to be when I grow up.

Better to be a "Learn it all" than a "Know it all"
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Ahhh, I miss understood. I would like to give you a fancy engineered answer like the stresses are different in the different axis', but the honest truth is probably just what he had.

There is an old saying "Make a silk purse from a sow's ear" and that is what you did!
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
sru_tx
    Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:53 pm

BTW,Thanks Kym. I enjoy following your adventures with bike frames.
Figuring out what I want to be when I grow up.

Better to be a "Learn it all" than a "Know it all"