What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

This auger has had a bad lower bearing for years. Balls and cage toally gone.
Finally decided to replace it.
Screw gear pullers and set screws, I torched it all off.

Enjpy.

~John

There you be.
Only thing I did wrong was cut the keyway 1/8" to long.
Only had a vise crip and reciprocating saw.

Chain is kinda stiff so I'll soak it in oil or replace it.

Then she'll be ready for service.

Thanks for watching.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Looks about like a lot of the cooling tower / condenser fan stuff I get into. Hasn't seen grease since the day it was put in service! Nice work demo without destruction can be a fine line.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Well done. I use similar tactics in bearing removal.

I didn't think to take pics, as no welding was involved, but on reflection I did use a cutting torch to remove the old bearings recently on a 1HP 3-phase motor. I washed them off the rotor shaft just as you did in the picture. The trick is to have a super-clean tip that will cut precisely, then wash the inner race to within a 32nd of an inch. This is enough disruption to easily slide the remains off without cutting all the way through and risking scarring the shaft. It's a great technique to practice, as even with the proper press, fixtures, and fitting, an old rusty shaft will damage itself in the bearing's removal.

Then, I got to use my favorite tactic... I dropped the whole rotating assembly in liquid nitrogen for five minutes or so, until the boiling stopped, then basically slid the new bearings on by hand, with a couple gentle taps on a shaft-sized socket to confirm they were fully seated. Call it a different definition of "cold pressed"... :roll:

Steve S
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Another good one we should post is getting old twisted off pipe out and saving the threads they were screwed into.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Poland308 wrote:Looks about like a lot of the cooling tower / condenser fan stuff I get into. Hasn't seen grease since the day it was put in service! Nice work demo without destruction can be a fine line.
Forida cooling tower work, guaranteed to make use lose 15lbs in one day.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla