What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
monte_santa_cruz
    Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:36 pm

Hoping to pick up my 2nd paying gig in the metal fab world. I'm bidding on six sets of ADA handrails for the staircases on some apartment buildings. Wondering how heavy a gauge metal I need to use. There is nothing on the plans calling this out. Can I use .120 wall tube, or maybe pipe? Any suggestions on what works well and is cost effective.

Thanks.

monte_santa_cruz wrote:Hoping to pick up my 2nd paying gig in the metal fab world. I'm bidding on six sets of ADA handrails for the staircases on some apartment buildings. Wondering how heavy a gauge metal I need to use. There is nothing on the plans calling this out. Can I use .120 wall tube, or maybe pipe? Any suggestions on what works well and is cost effective.

Thanks.
Hey
It is hard to imagine that an ADA handrail is not spec out, I would research this further, how can you provide a competitive bid without this information?

Does it call out the material and diameter of the handrail?
Richard
Website
monte_santa_cruz

Spec is 1 1/2 Dia round profile. Just nothing calling out specific material.
Pipe is likely the cheapest but thought some of you all have probably built a railing or two and might have some suggestions.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Monte welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

I think ADA is the spec,look up their requirements.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Does local building code have a requirement for pipe thickness? Some of the references to codes I've read require the ability to withstand a 200 or 250 pound force out or down from a particular point in the span, for instance.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

A lot of specs need to be followed....Know what is required before bidding to keep your self out of trouble, could be a very expensive mistake.

https://www.access-board.gov/guidelines ... g-elements
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
monte_santa_cruz

Thanks for the link.