Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Weldtillidie
    Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:36 pm

So I have been researching coolers for my tig machine, I'm running the miller syncrowave 210. I'm finding they are all more or less just coolant tanks with a pump and heat exchanger to cool with the ambient air. My issue is I work in Phoenix AZ and the ambient air is commonly 100-110 in the shop. Does anyone know of a cooling unit that has a chilling feature like an AC unit or chiller? I'm thinking I may just need to Engineer one myself to meet my needs but an off the shelf unit would be nice!
Oni
  • Oni
    Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:29 am

In my experience there is no need to chill the coolant in a tig cooler. A decent size reservoir and heat exchanger should be more than ample to keep the coolant within operating temperature.
MFleet
    Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:26 am

I agree. It seems like a neat idea but I think the fridge side will turn into a maintenance hassle in the end.

If you decide that you want to build your own cooler there isn't much to it as you have found. A 10k+ btu core, muffin fan, 3-4 Gallon reservoir, and a Procon pump(~100GPH@50psi) would be sufficient. Grainger has an assortment of filters. I have not seen a need for deionized water coolant but keep in mind that DI will eat copper.

Some have worked over a soda carbonator to a lower psi for less than $100.
Miller 350P w/Python
Miller Syncrowave 250DX - Beaterwave project
Hypertherm Powermax65
Hobby class lathe and milling machine
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Add a copper coil to the bottom of your resivore. Then just run a little tap water through it to keep your tank temp cool. No moving parts and you only use it when you need to.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Weldtillidie
    Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:36 pm

Thanks for the input! I think I'm going to start with an old aluminum radiator and dual fan set up along with a pump and aluminum tank. I have most of the fittings and a good idea how to route everything. I think over the winter(aka) 60s-70s here in Phoenix I will put together a simple chiller system and test it when it gets back up in the 100s.
thatoneguy
    Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

I know your pain... My last duty station was in Yuma. HORRIBLE!
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene