mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Polobbie
    Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:35 pm

O.K. I know this should never be done, but I was in a bind. I mig welded a 3/16 thick 4 inch round pipe to a 1/4 thick plate embedded into a concrete base for a friend's HD plate steel mailbox. He lives somewhat remote, and I knew I had a gas problem as soon as I started. He needed the work done, and I couldn't figure out the problem. I proceeded anyway and just welded the heck of the pipe full circle. Yes, it looked like hell but seemed darn strong. I told my friend the problem and suggested he add several coats of cold galv spray on the weld before covering it up with topsoil and grass. I eventually figured out my line set connection to the welder was not fully inserted which prevented the O ring gas seals from doing their job. Do you guys think the weld will hold or should go back out there, cut it loose, and start over?
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Simply for the sake of doing it right, yes.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

It is my opinion that withoutbshielding gas, you’ll not get decent penetration. Your call-
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I know here in Wisconsin, ,mailboxes get pounded during winter. I'm sure that in Texas there are other problems. If I had done that and here came a plow truck it would be gone or a solid wind storm. I would redo it. If you continue have gas problems, stick weld it.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

That weld will be severely compromised and very brittle. If there is any chance kids, animals, or cars can be damaged by it then definitely cut it off and start over. If this is a federally served mailbox that is delivered to by a us mail carrier, who might inadvertently get hurt by or damage to the mail truck, then cut it off and start over.
I have more questions than answers

Josh