Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
BigD
    Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Does anyone know where to get this TIG rod online for a good price? I've looked around my favourite retailers and they've never heard of it. I need to weld to a stainless turbocharger housing.
dave powelson
    Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 am

....umm....308H designates high carbon content--exactly what you don't need or want.
Wherever/whoever did you get this erroneous advice from?

308 L designates low or restricted carbon content--exactly what you need and want
Pesky lettle details like one letter in a nomenclature DO count for something.
BigD

Borg Warner engineer in charge of the IndyCar program and confirmed through Lincoln Electric, yes high carbon deposit designed for high temperature operation, exactly what I need and want. Thanks though.

Dmitry, how much and what dia do you need?
Richard
Website
BigD

LtBadd wrote:Dmitry, how much and what dia do you need?
Hey Richard! Say about a pound of 3/32?

Try weldwire.net You may have to order a minimum though.
Richard
Website
BigD

I found some at gasandsupply.com, they have Oxford and Midalloy. Do you know these brands, either one better than the other?

I've never heard of Oxford, but that doesn't mean much. Let me know what you go with.

Also would like to see pics of your job and how the wire flows.
Richard
Website
BigD

Will do! Still gathering parts for the project and the turbo is on the car currently but will update when I get going.
IMG_6591.JPG
IMG_6591.JPG (66.89 KiB) Viewed 1002 times