Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

I have a very tight spot to weld a filler neck on an aluminum tank under the 90* elbow. There's about 3/8" between the pipe and the tank and a cup just won't fit in there. I'm thinking about trying 1/2-3/4" stick out and flooding the area with argon from another bottle. I already tried to carry the heat in there but just can't get enough heat to melt the filler and the tank without melting the filler neck. The tank is 1/8" and the filler probably .090 thick ,,, maybe less. Any ideas? Suggestions? The tank is new material and the filler neck is used/old but cleans up as new.
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Tried with a bent tungsten tip to get closer?
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

I've used long necked nozzles like this for tight spaces.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

I'm cheating. I decided to cut the short necked filler off and replace it with another that's already welded to a 4" square and just weld the assy. down . It should be much simpler and cleaner.
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.
    Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:08 am

John Chamorro wrote:I'm cheating. I decided to cut the short necked filler off and replace it with another that's already welded to a 4" square and just weld the assy. down . It should be much simpler and cleaner.
I've had that problem but I was lucky enough to get by with a #5 a long stick out and high cfh.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

If such hard to access jobs come by more often then perhaps something like these might be an option to invest in (watercooled probably to get the max amps):

http://www.ckworldwide.com/micro-torch.html

http://www.ckworldwide.com/180-amps-ck180.html

Bye, Arno.