Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
JoeClark
    Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:17 am

Hello all,

So I have a bit of sheet steel that needs to be cut - about 5 feet worth of cutting. Mostly straight cuts. It is also stamped, so the surface is about 2" above the bottom in some places. I can support this with blocks or something though I guess.

What's the best way to cut this without spending $$$ on some expensive blade?

Thanks

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
References:
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic ... 7&t=413004

whiteboard animation
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Abrasive thin wheels on a 4-1/2 inch grinder or a 6inch is probably the fastest and cheapest way. Or an abrasive wheel that’s ment to go on a circular saw. . Oxy acetylene Torch will cause distortion and leave a slag on the edges you might not want. Plasma cutter might work but you will be fighting the shape as well as possible distortion. Double cut shears or a nibler might work if you can buy one that will cut that thickness and still cut due to the profile.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Bobby Sixguns
    Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:48 pm

I'd second the 4-1/2 or 6 inch grinder with a thin cutoff disk. A really good cutoff disk is only gonna cost $4 to $7 and will be fairly easy to make a straight cut on that thin, uneven surface.
olek
    Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:07 pm

HI, a little OT , but here I go :

I Use 3 grinders and a polisher (for steel brush, as they turn more slowly)

I am lucky to have enough air to use pneumatic tools too, so there is also an angle grinder and a straight one.
But that was not the point :

Now I added that smart nut from Bosch, allows me to lock unlock disks and other tools, BY HAND on the M14 arbor (they all have the same) baught 2 of them

It may be a solution if you have not enough grinders and you have enough of using the specific tools to change the disk
Pianos , restorer and tuner
Dedicated to learn welding since april
slowly learning ;) not complaining of doing beads and beads
pro inverter PROGYS 200 FV PFC CEL+tig lift
OA Oxyflam 1000 cutting and welding gas torch