Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi Folks,
I want to upgrade my Everlast plasma torch. Everlast tells me they don't make an upgraded torch for it.
What brand name do you suggest i look at for an upgrade?
Thanks,
Scotty Babb
Attachments
su206_main_png_0.png
su206_main_png_0.png (122.47 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
Bradk
    Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:09 am

Scotty,
Why don't you try reaching out to George at www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com he might have some suggestions for you? He sells and services these items specifically. Don't know if he will have an upgrade gun to match the Everlast but probably a good place to start. I have an Everlast PowerTig 250 EX and ditched their Asian built torch for a WeldCraft size 20 torch, just had to Americanize some water and gas fittings for the tig machine.

Brad
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Hopefully Jim will bring a definitive answer on this but in the mean time may I ask why do think you need to upgrade the torch ? for the most part the supplied unit will match the machine - are you trying to get longer consumable life or more cut ? either is not as simple as changing torch unless the one they used was underrated to start with such as the imports trying to push 50amps through a PT31 style - what current / cut voltage is the machine & what torch do you have - from that we maybe able to give a better answer - it's possible you may gain some improvement but I doubt it will justify the price to do so.
    Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:44 pm

Noddybrain,
I have tried to buy a drag tip for this torch and have been told none are available, so I thought I'd upgrade the torch to one that has accessories made for it.
I guess I was thinking, if aftermarket companies aren't making things for this torch, maybe the torch is a cheap model.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

OK - the reason makes sense but without knowing what torch you have it's hard to advise - it's easy enough to find another torch that in theory would work just by knowing cutting amps & if it uses pilot arc / blowback or HF to start but from what little I can make out on the resolution of picture I assume you have a multi process machine - these seem to weld very well but don't do well cutting - they are known to have problems & always seem to pack up when cutting - I don't know why - so unless someone comes along with a better answer you are likely best sticking to the torch supplied - Jim may yet chime in with his wisdom & experience given time & as he is in your country may know your machine & torch - in the UK I have never seen or heard of Everlast being sold - sorry I can't help more at this time.
jimcolt
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Scotty,

I suspect your torch is a copy of the over 30 year old Esab PT31 style torch. You can drag with that torch at amperages of less than 30 amps with some success, but over 30 amps it will eat up nozzles and electrodes rather quickly. The torch technology is old and it does not support shielded technology that allows you to drag at any amperage.

As stated in an earlier post....contact George at www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com , he will have the best answer. Virtually all of the import plasma cutter manufacturers build power supplies only and source the torch from the lowest cost suppliers they can find. This generally makes for a poor match as the plasma torch and power supply need to be designed to work together in order to allow the best consumable life and best cut quality. If ramp up and ramp down current / air pressure profiles are not correct for the torch and consumables being used...expect the 25,000 degree cutting arc to quickly consume the torch parts instead of the metal you are trying to cut! Jim Colt Hypertherm

scotty17 wrote:Hi Folks,
I want to upgrade my Everlast plasma torch. Everlast tells me they don't make an upgraded torch for it.
What brand name do you suggest i look at for an upgrade?
Thanks,
Scotty Babb