Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
typ122
    Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:12 am

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I have some experience tig welding with my old job but I would like to get a welding machine for my home shop. I was using a miller 210 at my old job. I don't usually weld anything crazy thick but would like to do at least 1/4". Thanks for you input.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

typ122 wrote:Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I have some experience tig welding with my old job but I would like to get a welding machine for my home shop. I was using a miller 210 at my old job. I don't usually weld anything crazy thick but would like to do at least 1/4". Thanks for you input.
Any idea how much you are willing to spend and what type of projects you might plan on doing?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
typ122
    Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:12 am

ill be welding axle housings for race cars,brackets and other things of that nature. Aluminum stuff, oil pan repairs.

I'll assume your budget is $2k or less for a AC/DC Tig unit and you're located in the US

Some options are

Miller Diversion

Lincoln Square Wave tig 200

Everlast, you'll find some love them, some hate them.

AHP makes a unit for around $1k, never used one but have read good things. Foot pedal is very basic

Like most budget machines, you may not (will not) be satisfied with everything, such as the foot pedal or TIG torch, therefore you should have extra $$ set aside should you want to upgrade

The Lincoln may be the best, depending...

1/4" aluminum is the top end (or close to it) for these units
Richard
Website
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I would add the Esab 186i. I have the thermal arc version and have been happy so far. Also less than $2k.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

LtBadd wrote:I'll assume your budget is $2k or less for a AC/DC Tig unit and you're located in the US

Some options are

Miller Diversion

Lincoln Square Wave tig 200

Everlast, you'll find some love them, some hate them.

AHP makes a unit for around $1k, never used one but have read good things. Foot pedal is very basic

Like most budget machines, you may not (will not) be satisfied with everything, such as the foot pedal or TIG torch, therefore you should have extra $$ set aside should you want to upgrade

The Lincoln may be the best, depending...

1/4" aluminum is the top end (or close to it) for these units
I've used both the diversion and squarewave. If it comes to those two, squarewave all the way. Added features for aluminum and stick welding in case you need it and it is still cheaper than the diversion.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Bradk
    Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:09 am

typ 122,
Don't forget the CK Worldwide MT-200 ac/dc Tig, it is pricier at $2155 but is supposed to be an excellent machine. Check out reviews and videos on the unit. Price given is at Arczone where I buy a lot of stuff online. I have a Lincoln SquareWave Tig 200 and really enjoy the machine but changed my torch to a TEC Welding Products sz 17 torch as I wanted a shorter torch body than the Lincoln sz 17 which is ok, just personal choice. I also own a Everlast PowerTig 250EX with an Everlast water cooler as well, whole different league then the air cooled torch (no hot torch to fry my fingers). I sometimes am using the air cooled torch on my Lincoln and end up roasting my index finger from holding a bead too long, just a dumb ass I guess? Ouch!

Brad

Bradk wrote:typ 122,
Don't forget the CK Worldwide MT-200 ac/dc Tig, it is pricier at $2155 but is supposed to be an excellent machine.
Brad
Wow that's quite a bit more then the Lincoln, it better shine for that cost. Have never seen any reviews for that unit, but then I haven't went looking.

Right now you can but the SW TIG 200 and get a $125 rebate as well. Plenty of good reviews of this machine out there
Richard
Website
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

The AHP still seems to be the best bang-for-the-buck, IMO. Just rig up something for the footpedal, and you're golden.
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

LtBadd wrote:
Don't forget the CK Worldwide MT-200 ac/dc Tig, it is pricier at $2155 but is supposed to be an excellent machine.
Brad
Wow that's quite a bit more then the Lincoln, it better shine for that cost. Have never seen any reviews for that unit, but then I haven't went looking.

Right now you can but the SW TIG 200 and get a $125 rebate as well. Plenty of good reviews of this machine out there

The CK Worldwide machine is a Razorweld 200 acdc in a different case. The Razorweld can be had for $1,700 and is awesome at that price point.
Bradk
    Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:09 am

Sedanman,
I guess you pay an extra $400 for the CK wrapping? Good to know!
Brad
I guess you could always buy an Everlast, I saw the 250 EX recently on the market for around $1395. Weld 1/4 inch no issues.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

sedanman wrote:
LtBadd wrote:
Brad

The CK Worldwide machine is a Razorweld 200 acdc in a different case. The Razorweld can be had for $1,700 and is awesome at that price point.
CK Worldwide are awesome products with great customer service!!
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Bradk wrote:Sedanman,
I guess you pay an extra $400 for the CK wrapping? Good to know!
Brad
I guess you could always buy an Everlast, I saw the 250 EX recently on the market for around $1395. Weld 1/4 inch no issues.
The bigger case allows for slightly better cooling thus a duty cycle improvement. The CK version also comes with a CK torch.
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

I have a Lincoln Squarewave 200 and recommend highly