Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Fri May 02, 2014 10:44 am

I've noticed some of these little, dual voltage, stick/tig inverters are getting down into buzz box price ranges. I'm thinking I might try one, but I'm unfamiliar with the majority of the brands. Who's making good ones?
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I like the ESAB 161. I have 2 of them at the school and they weld very well. Tig arc is good too. Less than $500 at cyberweld.

The one I have for portable in my private work is a Thermal Arc 161. A little more expensive but very nice.

Hobart (miller) has a cheaper one now too (stick only). Hobart stick mate 160i $340.
https://store.cyberweld.com/hobart-stic ... 00570.html

They also sell a 210 amp version. $420.

I've been told they both weld good.
Last edited by MinnesotaDave on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I have a Miller 150 stl that I keep on my work truck that I’ve used , and abused a lot. Think if you buy it as a kit with stick and tig leads. It’s about $1100. That’s pretty much everything you need except the gas bottle.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Fri May 02, 2014 10:44 am

Those new stickmates and thunderbolts are interesting, I had over looked those. Seems like some of the newer brands are offering more though.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I had a Miller MaxStar 150 TIG box that got destroyed in a garage collapse (different story) that was as sweet as can be. If I were to replace it, I'd be looking at: https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/ ... der-907710

The darn thing will fit in your car console, will run 120/240v and do 160 Amps. Scratch start only, but the upper end models have Pulse TIG and you can really upgrade to MaxStar 200 for HF start if you want a high end, DC only TIG/Stick. The 161 would be my go-to for stainless pipe with a #9 torch and a #12 cup. If I needed one... ;)