Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:29 am

Hello all

I'm about to renew the blade in my Ridgide carbide saw, is there any brand that last longer than others?
What never happened before can always happen again....
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

I just bought a Dewalt 14" 66 tooth carbide blade, on Amazon. They claim it lasts 40% longer and has a good rating on Amazon. The item that sold me on this blade is it has thicker carbide and they claim it can be re-sharpened. My old Evolution blade has 3 broken teeth and has thiner carbide. When I take it in to get sharpened, I wouldn't be surprised if they tell me it will cost more to sharpen and braze on new teeth than it's worth.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I have 2- 66T Evolution 14BLADEST blades ( original blade supplied with Evolution 380 saw ) which I resharpen and rotate as needed. Each blade has been resharpened aprox 4 times and aprox 4 more to go if I don't mess them up. New blade in Canadian $ aprox $150.00. Resharpen $20.00 +$4-5.00 per tooth replacement if req'd. In 2 years I broke 2 teeth only and both totally my fault. For the price I get good value. I have a CMT 90T but found it wouldn't stand up in heavier material up to 1/2in anywhere close to the Evolution. If you haven't had these blades sharpened and are looking for someone to do it check with a fine woodworking shop and find who sharpens theirs. Same principle. :D
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

The thing that will make EVERY blade last a lot longer is using a high quality cutting fluid, not WD-40 or similar. Walter makes several aerosol products and liquids you can apply from a squeeze bottle while cutting. It will make the cut cleaner, cooler, and extend the life of whatever blade you use.

Short of a cold saw, its the cheapest and best solution.

homeboy wrote:I have 2- 66T Evolution 14BLADEST blades ( original blade supplied with Evolution 380 saw ) which I resharpen and rotate as needed. Each blade has been resharpened aprox 4 times and aprox 4 more to go if I don't mess them up. New blade in Canadian $ aprox $150.00. Resharpen $20.00 +$4-5.00 per tooth replacement if req'd. In 2 years I broke 2 teeth only and both totally my fault. For the price I get good value. I have a CMT 90T but found it wouldn't stand up in heavier material up to 1/2in anywhere close to the Evolution. If you haven't had these blades sharpened and are looking for someone to do it check with a fine woodworking shop and find who sharpens theirs. Same principle. :D
Prices around here start at 60 bucks to sharpen a blade!

CJ,
Do you have names of any cutting fluids you would recommend?
Everlast 210 EXT

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737

Tap Magic is a great cutting fluid for any metal working operation, also the wax like sticks like THIS from Walter work as well and don't leave the liquid mess fluids do
Richard
Website
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

tungstendipper wrote: CJ,
Do you have names of any cutting fluids you would recommend?
I use Walter Stainless Cut for, yup, Stainless sheet and tubing. I use their Aluminum products for aluminum, and I use a simple bottle of Oatey high sulphur cutting/threading fluid for most carbon steels (you can find it at your local Home Center in the plumbing aisle), or I use specialty cutting fluids with my mill, lathe or mag drill (the mag drill wants a water-soluble formula). Anything that is a true cutting fluid will work.

With carbide saws, the speed of the cut is really important too. Not much pressure on the blade, lots of fluid, and let the blade do the work. It's not like sawing wood... For 1/2" thick material I'd use a bandsaw not a chop saw personally.

Thanks guys for your info! :D Will pick up some Oatey today. As well as the other fluids.
Everlast 210 EXT

CJ737