mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
WildWestWelder
    Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

Ok that about covers it. :)

Material 1 pc. 1/2"T x 8" x 8" 3" sq. tube 1/4 wall Both HRS

I am welding the 3" tube center of the 1/2 plate. First time I set the tube center and welded and it cupped at the corners about 3/16". So somebody said cut a hole in the center of the 1/2" so I machined a 2-1/2 sq. hole thru it, centered the 3" tube a welded. It still oil canned about the same. Any remedies? BTW, the 1/2" was flat prior to welding.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

One solution is to put a thick washer under it and clamp down the corners to pre-stress it away from the direction it will pull after welding.

Then welding will pull it straight.

Another is to heat the opposite side after welding and let it heat shrink into position.

A third is to do two at once, clamped back-to-back. This way they pull each other straight.

Here is a great old video on "Mr. Shrink."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vuGlcbDwKY
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
aland
    Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:10 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:Another is to heat the opposite side after welding and let it heat shrink into position.
Dave,

When you do this, are you talking about welding on the backside, or just using an oxy-acet torch with a rosebud to heat it?

I'm watching that video now, reminds me of the old South Bend videos on How To Run A Lathe. Could be the same announcer...LOL

Alan
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Dave,
Great movie! I'm expecting a coloring book to come out with Mr Shrink to color. Boy! That would give you something to do on those cold Minnesota nights! That was so good, even I go it!
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737

aland wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:Another is to heat the opposite side after welding and let it heat shrink into position.
Dave,

When you do this, are you talking about welding on the backside, or just using an oxy-acet torch with a rosebud to heat it?

I'm watching that video now, reminds me of the old South Bend videos on How To Run A Lathe. Could be the same announcer...LOL

Alan
Rosebud or cutting torch for heat. It has to make a line of red to work - like in the video.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc

tungstendipper wrote:Dave,
Great movie! I'm expecting a coloring book to come out with Mr Shrink to color. Boy! That would give you something to do on those cold Minnesota nights! That was so good, even I go it!
I show it in class - high school kids and us adults learn from that old video :)

If I ever see a new fangled version of it, it'll have to be really good before I use it instead :D
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc