Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:13 pm
    Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada

I would like to learn to weld thin stainless steel, the journey will be long and hard. One day hopefully I will be able to weld a stainless steel ferrule onto my beer brew kettle. Like these pictures. The brew kettle is made from 20 gauge SS200.

Image Image Image

I have been looking at the PowerTIG 250EX and PowerTIG 210EXT. Will these machines weld thin stainless steel with about the same quality?
Thanks for your help.
Kimball
Last edited by bcboy on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lincoln Electric AC-225 Stick Welder Canadian Tire
MIG 100E Flux-Cored Wire Feed Welder Princess Auto
PowerTIG 250EX Everlast Power Equipment
Ironton Dry Cut Metal Saw — 14in, on it's way Northern Tool
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Look for low starting amps. And pulse features. Those will both be your friend on thin SS. If those features are identical then buy the cheaper one and spend the extra money on purging equipment. IE an extra regulator and maybe even a tester for ensuring a good purge.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Welcome! Make sure you practise before you attempt any welds on that kettle, I have a 15 gal Spike, their kettles and in house welders do nice work.
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
    Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:13 pm
    Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada

So here are the specs on the 2 welders that I have been looking at.

PowerTIG 250EX.
Start Amp Range: 5A-250A
End Amp Range: 5A-250A
Minimum Amp DC TIG Start: 5A (+/-2A), so this machine can go down to 3amps?
TIG Weld to a minimum of .007" Steel, Weld to a minimum of .008" Aluminum.

PowerTIG 210 EXT
Start Amp Range: 120V: DC: 5-120A, AC: 5-120A, 240V: DC: 5-210A, AC: 5-210A.
End Amp Range: 120V: DC: 3-120A, AC: 5-120A, 240V: DC: 3-210A, AC: 5-210A.
TIG:Weld to a minimum of .004" Steel, Weld to a minimum of .005" Aluminum.

Everything seem really close on the specs. I like the idea of 250amps more than 210amps.
Do you think that these two machines would show a noticeable difference in welding thin metals?

Thanks again to all who have posted in this thread.
Lincoln Electric AC-225 Stick Welder Canadian Tire
MIG 100E Flux-Cored Wire Feed Welder Princess Auto
PowerTIG 250EX Everlast Power Equipment
Ironton Dry Cut Metal Saw — 14in, on it's way Northern Tool
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Looks like the 210 may have better control on the low end. But having more amps at your disposal would be nice for other projects. I think there are some here who have experiences with these machines. But it bay be a little while before they check in.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Graveyard
    Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am

Both of those machines will weld thin metal almost identically. It’s the thicker material that one will shine over the other as far as amps go. I just purchased the 325 EXT and I am very pleased with it. The 210EXT is obviously not going to be able to handle much over 1/4” but it offers a lot more control options than the 250EX, both will be good machines for you. If you plan on doing a lot of thin material I would lean towards the 210EXT because of those extra features. Either way you’ll be happy with whatever you get.
    Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:31 pm

I own a 210EXT and have welded 18g SS and aluminum with it. I upgraded from a 200DV that was not ideal due to the low end of the range being 20a(If memory serves).

I've even welded some 1/2" thick aluminum(intake manifolds) with it without a cooler. Torch got a little warm but I don't mess with much 'thick' material so I don't see a cooler being necessary