General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
One1
  • One1
    Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:41 pm

Pipelining, boilermaking, unions, plant jobs. These are what I’m offered. There is a new plant being built this year on a 15 year timeline so plenty of steady work with lots of $$$. My family is going to have a hand in it and I can get my foot in the door if I want. I’m in my 40’s and have never done anything like that (the long distance, long hours, union stuff that takes years). I feel like since I’m not seasoned for that stuff and would have to adapt maybe it’s something I should leave to the 20 year olds and hardened union boilermakers and just keep on fabbing.

I know jody has seen a lot of time in the field and then cwe/cwi the newboys before they are thrown in the lions den. If you are offered a shot at boilermaker and union in your 40’s, can you overcome and adapt at a plant being built against the youngins and vets? It’s a solid chance to retire the helmet at 55-ish and CWI from there until I’m done. I’d like to hear what he thinks based on what he has seen. I already have the chance to ask my family that whom are overqualified for the answer, but they want me to just do it and i need an unbiased opinion. It’s not something I can try and fail at. They are top of the food chain at ASME and everything that gets printed comes from their desk. If I don’t succeed 100% it’ll be a total fail. This question isn’t posed about my abilities as an individual. Put any 40-something John Q Public in this and decide. All replies welcome, but qualified answers wanted.
1957 Lincoln Idealarc 300, Miller 211 v1 mig, Lincoln 3350, CK Worldwide CK17FV, 9FV
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

There have been several guys I personally know who started there apprenticeships after they were 40. They stuck it out and did fine.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

One1, Jody doesn't typically respond in the forum, although I can't say he won't.

If your determined to go this route I'd say you'll probably do well. Don't focus on others just be your best, a lot of the young guys have problems just showing up on time, or at all.
Richard
Website
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

As a CWI that can actually weld and fab, you'll have a far greater chance of a good time than a office only cwi. If you can talk the talk and walk the walk, you can assist a youngster and know the right skills to shut down an old timer if they don't agree. Note: some won't agree whatever happens but what you say will be better accepted.
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

When you were nursing I was chasing shutdowns and one of my best friends was a 1/2 Proto spud ratchet....
If I were in my 40's again ?.....I'd get REAL good at SS and AL tig and look for a job in the AC or seaside doing fancy yatchets and hi dolla kitchen work and restaurant work. Clean. Not too heavy, not too dangerous yet requires patience and mastery.
I don't missing the tough guy years. My body disagrees.I don't have a clue what the boilerbreakers do these years but I expect a lot of computerfied nonsense is involved. They were kinda hi tech, even back in the day. Machinist/metallurgist/hydraulic meets ironworker.I'm not smart enough for all that if computer stuff is involved. I can cut a left handed Whitworth if needed but forget the TV lookin thing.I need a gear shift and belts !