General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Why do some CWIs just not care? A couple of my instructors were talking about one inspector that recently died named John. All of the other inspectors including my two instructors are now picking up his work. He's had people's bend tests break in half as a recertification from John. One of my instructors walked into a facility that he was inpecting welds on the ironwork. This building had been in service for 6 months and he was required to wear hairnets and had to climb on machinery to inspect 160 welds. Only 10 passed inspection. The same company had hired John for years and were complaining about how they paid John and he let everything pass. Well John is dead was all my instructor could say. Why are some inspectors like this. Lack of will to do the work. As far as I see it structural weld inspections can possibly put someone's life on the line.
Last edited by Farmwelding on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

I’ve had some inspectors who would fail my weld because of a spatter ball left in the weld area. I’ve had others who were much less stringent. It’s there call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

If I ran the world, inspectors would be required to follow rules. Inspectors who don't would be shot dead, and left to rot.

Regardless of your work, it is difficult enough to comply with every rule. If some inspectors don't enforce some rules, workers must learn new standards to comply. If an inspector bends the rules for everyone, or (I hate them) accepts a bribe, he has contaminated many projects.

The world functions on price. We bid jobs based on what we must do to comply with rules. If inspectors aren't even handed with all contractors, knowing what to do is impossible. We can complete a job, only to have it rejected by an inspector, and we must start over. Meanwhile, our competitor pays off the inspector, utterly fouls it up, and passes inspection.

I am an electrician. I brag that I've never been sued, I've never been accused of a fire. I hope, and pray that that never changes. The fact that I compete with electrical contractors who routinely pay off inspectors makes me angry!!!!
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

snoeproe wrote:I’ve had some inspectors who would fail my weld because of a spatter ball left in the weld area. I’ve had others who were much less stringent. It’s there call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah it's their call, but this guy didn't do the inspection at all. That's not a call. That's you playing God.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

Farmwelding wrote:
Yeah it's their call, but this guy didn't do the inspection at all. That's not a call. That's you playing God.
Perhaps you mean, "that's him (CWI) playing dumb
Richard
Website