General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
dalefishhawk
    Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:40 pm

i took weld test last week 6g carbon steel did not pass root pass. hot pass was good and also the two stringer cover pass was good said weld inspector. i am having trouble on my tie ins, when i am in the keyhole and moving weld rod up and down i am very consistent, when i have completed a 6 inch carbon steel coupon i wire wheel inside of pipe and it looks good except for where i tacked the pipe. can someone help me out. thanks.

Are you feathering both ends of each tack with a grinder? That is the key for me. Then when you tie in you actually keyhole well into the tack before it closes up and things look slick on the inside.
when you light up on a tack after you feather grind it, start back on the unground part and ease into the feathered part and will start keyholing a bit before you reach the end.

good luck bro,

Jody
welder57
    Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:42 pm

the few times i've faild on root its been where the tie-in is. always taper these as said by many on this site. i keep my tacks to 3/4" tops-good luck