Books, articles, websites and other sources of information.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

We'd like to invite you to share the books, articles, apps, programs, etc. that you have found helpfull. Please provide a brief explanation of the theme or purpose, preferably in your topic title. If the item is available on-line, please provide a link, if possible. If you have a favorite book, you can also post the ISBN #, usually found on the same page as the copyright/edition information, so it can be searched in on-line libraries and bookstores.

We have a good start here, already. Let's make it great!

Thanks,

"The Team"
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Awesome topic!!

I HIGHLY recommend joining the AWS. it'll save you 25% on all publications. I've read it will help save money on certs too, but I'm not there yet.

I recently bought three books from them, including a two-year membership, here's my take so far:

1. PRGT:1999 Practical Reference Guide to Welding Titanium (Printed Hard Copy)
--Not sure yet, it hasn't come in. I got it for $35 when I joined instead of the $48 bucks for non-members, it'll be a few weeks before it gets here.

2. G2.4/G2.4M:2007 Guide for the Fusion Welding of Titanium and Titanium Alloys (Printed Hard Copy)
--WOW, there's a lot to welding Titanium!!! the first 20 pages are about cleaning and handling and post-flows. I love this book, and it's going to be my go-to for this big project I'm working on. As much information as is in this book, I wish I hadn't gotten the titanium reference guide, but maybe it'll have even more information.

3. EG3.0:1996 Guide for the Training & Qualification of Welding Personnel; Level II-Advanced Welder (Printed Hard Copy)
--I got this one because I think it'll be a good boost for my resume and productivity to study and learn it. I wish I had gotten the Level I book too, as a lot of the Level II builds on things mentioned in Level I. I figured I'd get Level II because I'm getting to where that's where I am going in my career. But, going from what's in the Level II, Level I would probably even be a good help.

Here's a link to a list of publications that they offer for free:
http://pubs.aws.org/t/FreeDownloads

You won't find a D1.1 there or anything fancy like that, but I'm a firm believer that if there's free information about something you love to do, TAKE IT!

I recommend taking a look at QC7-93 for those of us interested in certifying. That's the basic outline for the certification process. These standards are helping me to understand my career better and helping me learn where I want to go and what it's going to take to get there. You can spend a quantifiable crap ton of money on these books, but that will help you prioritize your work. The membership is worth it to me because I see myself spending a lot of money on these books, plus it gives you a subscription to a couple welding magazines to keep you up to date on happenings.

Also, if I could have a constantly-updating print version of this forum, that would totally kick ass. There's SO much information here and so may awesome welders from so many different fields who are all ready to help anyone they can.
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press
    Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 am

http://www.jflfoundation.com/SearchResu ... =50&page=1

I have bought a few books from the Lincoln Foundation. Metals and How to Weld Them is the first one I bought and read it completely. Jody talks about it in his earlier videos. It really will help you understand how welding effects metal. Not all modern alloys are listed, but the common ones are.
Chris
NASA is not the enemy of the American taxpayer.
AWS D1.1, D17.1
nathan

RocketSurgeon, you weld for NASA?

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch

Yes. Friction Stir Welding. It is a robotic process.

We are currently working the SLS Core Stage program at Michoud Assembly Facility in N.O., La.

(Yeah, it's awesome! :D )
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
nathan

RocketSurgeon wrote:Yes. Friction Stir Welding. It is a robotic process.

We are currently working the SLS Core Stage program at Michoud Assembly Facility in N.O., La.

(Yeah, it's awesome! :D )
Is that where they got the new vertical assembly center? One day, I'd like to do what you do lol. Any advice?

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch

nathan wrote:
Is that where they got the new vertical assembly center? One day, I'd like to do what you do lol. Any advice?
Yes. Almost 160' high.

Advice: Weld. Keep welding. Weld exotic. Keep welding exotic. Weld exotic Al. Keep welding exotic Al. Move to a known aerospace manufacturing town. Bug the p*** out of the contractor until you get hired. Earn your job by doing your job. Reap the rewards of knowing that you are part of something bigger than you.

(Sorry if that sounds too gruff and philosophical. You will not get the pay of those who are in the field. Just putting that out there. I love my job, but I hate who signs my comparably small checks.)
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
nathan

RocketSurgeon wrote:
nathan wrote:
Yes. Almost 160' high.

Advice: Weld. Keep welding. Weld exotic. Keep welding exotic. Weld exotic Al. Keep welding exotic Al. Move to a known aerospace manufacturing town. Bug the p*** out of the contractor until you get hired. Earn your job by doing your job. Reap the rewards of knowing that you are part of something bigger than you.

(Sorry if that sounds too gruff and philosophical. You will not get the pay of those who are in the field. Just putting that out there. I love my job, but I hate who signs my comparably small checks.)
I like gruff and philosophical. I'm in manufacturing right now, working for Peterbilt. We make pretty good money, $27.60/hour on 2nd shift, with only one raise. NASA doesn't pay their welders well?
What kind of exotic Al? 7XXX series?

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch

Boeing is the contractor and they don't pay very well. I've been in aerospace since 2008 and make less than you. (The sacrifices of having your dream job.)

We use 2219 Al(Copper alloy) and 2195 Al (Lithium alloy).
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1

I make less than him, too!

I've made far more, and hated my job.

There's some wisdom the 18yo's can try to absorb.

I love what I do, and enjoy going to work every morning.

Steve S
nathan

Otto Nobedder wrote:I make less than him, too!

Steve S
That's crazy to me that I make more than both of y'all. Kinda makes me mad a bit, cause I guarantee you're both a thousand times better and smarter than me.

What codes did y'all qualify to (if any), that way I can start expanding my library, and anyone else that is so inclined can know.

Welding is my dream work. I like where I am, but it is starting to get boring welding the same shit every single day. They have amazing benefits here, good, scheduled pay raises, I could retire at 55 with over a million in my 401k, not to mention pension. It takes good care of my family.

I have a couple welders in the garage at home, and I'm trying to get more/better equipment. Any way I could do aerospace as a side job? Lol

What I don't like is the emphasis on speed, sometimes at the sacrifice of quality. I bet you two can do one thing all day and make it 100% perfect. Maybe I oughtta make me a spaceship at home... Lol

RocketSurgeon, did you ever think of working for spacex? I bet they pay pretty good.

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch

Otto Nobedder wrote:I make less than him, too!

Steve S
Steve,
I'm no expert at what your job entails, but I know what you do. I've seen your posts and pics of your "daily grind". I have nothing less than total respect for your dedication and admire your earned skill (is your head swollen, yet :lol: ).

My goal, after passing all my weld tests in the upcoming class, is to have the confidence that I can add your skill to my dedication in aerospace. Everyday that goes by here at Michoud adds to my experience, but we all know it means squat without the understanding, knowledge and skill of metalwork.
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1

nathan wrote:
That's crazy to me that I make more than both of y'all. Kinda makes me mad a bit, cause I guarantee you're both a thousand times better and smarter than me.

What codes did y'all qualify to (if any), that way I can start expanding my library, and anyone else that is so inclined can know.

Welding is my dream work. I like where I am, but it is starting to get boring welding the same shit every single day. They have amazing benefits here, good, scheduled pay raises, I could retire at 55 with over a million in my 401k, not to mention pension. It takes good care of my family.

I have a couple welders in the garage at home, and I'm trying to get more/better equipment. Any way I could do aerospace as a side job? Lol

What I don't like is the emphasis on speed, sometimes at the sacrifice of quality. I bet you two can do one thing all day and make it 100% perfect. Maybe I oughtta make me a spaceship at home... Lol

RocketSurgeon, did you ever think of working for spacex? I bet they pay pretty good.
Nathan,
We don't use national code. Everything is either MILSPEC or NASASPEC. Very specific and extreme tolerance (sometimes .0001"). Most of the time we only get one chance at the work in front of us. It has to be perfect the first time, every time. Astronaut lives are depending on us (my whole aerospace career has been in Man-rated vehicles).

I think about McGregor, TX. (SpaceX R&D facility) every time I see my paycheck. :lol: But, I just can't talk myself into leaving NASA for a another corporation.

If your REALLY want in on aerospace welding, TIG. TIG Al. TIG Al till you are sick of it. Then TIG some more. We use a specific technique to maintain weld purity inside the bead. DC reverse with pure, dry He. This is not a place where speed pays. Only dedication, honesty and confidence in your work will get your acknowledged. (It also helps that it is inside, "OCD" clean, all tools and machines are provided, climate controlled and we have a cafeteria. :lol: )
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1

Nathan,

The only code I'm held to is ASME boiler code, to sections B31.3 and B31.9 (which apply to only a small fraction of my work). Amazingly, I'm not required to even qualify to AWS D1.1 to weld sub-frames and other structure on these tankers that weigh 23+ tons empty.

I have qualified to D1.1 several times in the past, so I'm confident, but we rely primarily on the client's over-engineering to ensure a zero failure rate on the structural stuff. It works. In 60 years or so, they've not had a major disaster, and have not had a major incident that was caused by a weld failure in the structure.

Steve S
nathan

Wow, thanks an awesome success rate! Feel any pressure when you work to not be "the guy" that had the bad tank? Lol

RocketSurgeon, I understand that DC Al needs to be ridiculously clean. What is your cleaning regimen?

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch

nathan wrote:RocketSurgeon, I understand that DC Al needs to be ridiculously clean. What is your cleaning regimen?
If you are asking about pre-weld prep (for Friction Stir or TIG), we scotchbrite (120 grit blue pads) to new metal and then wipe down with acetone and then Isopropyl Alcohol with lint free cloth. We have to begin welding within 48hrs. or we end up violating our clean time and have to start all over.
If you are asking about the TIG weld itself, DC- at 115-135A (depending on thickness) with 20cfm dry, pure He shield gas with a 2% Thoriated Tungsten.
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1
nathan

What kind of issues can you encounter with friction stir? I.E. inclusions, porosity, etc.

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch

nathan wrote:What kind of issues can you encounter with friction stir? I.E. inclusions, porosity, etc.
Porosity is our biggest issue. Luckily, it's all robotic. CNC controlled. Highly repeatable.
As far as inclusions, as long as the prep is right, the parent material is pure/clear and we don't have a bug land in the weld lan (TamJeff :lol: ).
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1

RocketSurgeon wrote:
nathan wrote:RocketSurgeon, I understand that DC Al needs to be ridiculously clean. What is your cleaning regimen?
If you are asking about pre-weld prep (for Friction Stir or TIG), we scotchbrite (120 grit blue pads) to new metal and then wipe down with acetone and then Isopropyl Alcohol with lint free cloth. We have to begin welding within 48hrs. or we end up violating our clean time and have to start all over.
If you are asking about the TIG weld itself, DC- at 115-135A (depending on thickness) with 20cfm dry, pure He shield gas with a 2% Thoriated Tungsten.
Really! I've always been told never to clean AL with scotchbrite as it will leave micro particles embedded and cause contamination. Can you provide a link to show what you use?

Thanks
Richard
Website

I think this comes from using Scotchbrite on old metal. If there's any texture to the metal surface, you can trap particles.

On new clean metal this is unlikely, and the acetone and IPA washes should remove any minor residue.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:I think this comes from using Scotchbrite on old metal. If there's any texture to the metal surface, you can trap particles.

On new clean metal this is unlikely, and the acetone and IPA washes should remove any minor residue.

Steve S
Still if the owner caught me doing this then I'd get an earful :x
Richard
Website

If NASA specs it for "Man-Rated" vehicles, your dickhead boss has little argument against it.
nathan

Otto Nobedder wrote:If NASA specs it for "Man-Rated" vehicles, your dickhead boss has little argument against it.
Boom.
Did you hear that?
That was a truth bomb.

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch

Otto Nobedder wrote:If NASA specs it for "Man-Rated" vehicles, your dickhead boss has little argument against it.
Bet you can guess I'd like to show him that spec. :o
Richard
Website

Otto Nobedder wrote:I think this comes from using Scotchbrite on old metal. If there's any texture to the metal surface, you can trap particles.

Steve S
Once again, you are correct , sir. :)

The washes are to remove dust left over from the Scotchbrite and oxidized Al. We do allow a few minutes time for both washes to evaporate completely and we are required (with good reason) to handle all cleaned parts with nitrile or cotton gloves.
Chris
AWS D1.1, D17.1