Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
WeldingMaster
    Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:21 pm

What is the procedure for a 2G test with a Mig? Any HELP will be appreciated!!!
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Thats gonna depend on type of material, thickness of material, type of filler, etc...

Need more info from ya brotha.

BTW, im not trying to be a dick, but usually the welding masters answer the questions, not ask them :)
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

kermdawg wrote: BTW, im not trying to be a dick, but usually the welding masters answer the questions, not ask them :)
:lol:
That's funny!

AWS D1.1 structural test?

2G is a horizontal plate test. The structural test calls for 3/8 plate, 22 1/2 degree bevel, 1/16 (?--it's been a while) land, 1/4 inch gap, 1/4 inch backing bar. The procedure is: Weld it.

Come to think of it, that's a SMAW (stick) test.
Never mind.

Kermdawg's right. Ask a specific question.

Steve

(I don't believe I originally replied 2G was vertical... must've been the beer :oops: )
Last edited by Otto Nobedder on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

OK, my sense of humor has taken control...

A 2G test with a Mig:

Fly a Mig 17 in a standard rate turn at approximately Mach 1.

If you don't pass out, you've passed your 2G test.

Your mileage may vary...

Steve
LSomers
    Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:03 pm

WeldingMaster,
The Procedure will be supplied by the company you are testing for. A 2G test means that you will be welding horizontally, plate or pipe. If this is welder qualification test they will supply
you with a welding procedure specification (WPS). The WPS will give you all the variables you need such as Volt / Amps range, travel speed..... Just review the WPS and follow it within its boundary's. If it's a general test to test your knowledge on welding and fitting there may not be a WPS. (Ex. If it is just a job shop and there is no need for certification.) In that case just use your best judgment on you machines variables to which material you are welding. Most important thing is to stay calm and focus. DO NOT try to haul a** and show how fast you can go, unless thats what they want to see. Good Luck!
TheExpert

This is all depend on the type of metal which you use. I don't know about this more but i have read once about it so i know this test is depend on material.