Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
UV Metal Arts
    Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:36 pm

[youtube]https://youtu.be/DygL-9bCHN8[/youtube]
It's a thorough introduction to the 4.5" angle grinder as it relates to metal workers. Newbie or an old fart you will learn something new. Please check it out and leave feedbeck if you can. Thanks
https://youtu.be/DygL-9bCHN8
https://youtu.be/rBiigae_rOo
https://youtu.be/lUNGQo9KOok
    Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:13 am

Your videos look great. There were a few things I did not know, but I do now. Thank you for making them.
Chris
NASA is not the enemy of the American taxpayer.
AWS D1.1, D17.1
UV Metal Arts

Thank's. That means a lot from someone with your background. Chears
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

All right...

If Chris gives 'em a thumbs-up, I'm going to have to take a look...

Steve S

I have to admit, I learned a thing or two, despite 30+ years of experience.

Good stuff!

One point...
Industry work wants you to rip out all "lock on" switches. The paddle should serve as a "dead man" switch, so the grinder turns off if you lose your grip for any reason. Sure, in my home shop I won't, but it's still a good idea.

Steve S
UV Metal Arts

interesting, does that mean no thumb switches in those situations too?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

No lock on switches on a small grinder is a terrible idea. Ever try clean a heap of small parts while holding the switch.
    Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:26 am

Like an old boss of mine used to say to all the apprentices, "I've forgotten more than you've learned yet." Well even l learned something. Or maybe I just remembered it again?

Either way, thanks for the videos. I think I'm going to have my youngest son (8) watch these. He's the one who is most interested in "helping" me all the time. Maybe he will learn some things too that I never told him.

Ryan

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Ryan

Miller Dynasty 350 w/wireless pedal
Miller 350P with standard torch and XR-Aluma-Pro
Miller Multimatic 200 w/spool gun w/wireless pedal
Miller Spectrum 375 X-TREME
Smith torches
Optrel e684
Miller Digital Elite
Miller Weld-Mask
    Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:26 am

About those locking switches, yes some places will only buy dead man style paddle grinders. Another instance in insurance dictating over utility. Personally I never have and never will buy a grinder WITHOUT a thumb lock switch. Oh well. Tools are dangerous, they always will be, learn to use them safely, and always tuck in your ponytail [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Ryan

Miller Dynasty 350 w/wireless pedal
Miller 350P with standard torch and XR-Aluma-Pro
Miller Multimatic 200 w/spool gun w/wireless pedal
Miller Spectrum 375 X-TREME
Smith torches
Optrel e684
Miller Digital Elite
Miller Weld-Mask
UV Metal Arts

FYI and clarification just because we are talking about locking switches.... My selfie KO was with a 8.5amp Milwaukee with the paddle but the lock was not engaged. I literally do not remember the wind up. If it was spinning near full speed 10,000rpm and my KO happened in maybe 3-4 rpms, I think that's about 2 tenths of a second.

UV Metal Arts wrote:interesting, does that mean no thumb switches in those situations too?
Yep. Our grinders must stop if we let go. Triggers or paddle switches. I've worked several jobs that were like that.

Steve S
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:
UV Metal Arts wrote:interesting, does that mean no thumb switches in those situations too?
Yep. Our grinders must stop if we let go. Triggers or paddle switches. I've worked several jobs that were like that.

Steve S
I'd find another job. Aint no way I'm grinding all day with a P.O.S. paddle. ESPECIALLY if the nanny lock has been left intact.
The trigger on a rat tail is fine. My 5020 is a favorite piece.Major control.
Most of the time i use a Bosch Slim, one handed.Runnin a paddle one handed is goofy......unless she's bent over beside the Jacuzzi :mrgreen: :ugeek: :lol:
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

When I responded on Boob T00B I said I'd post the moddifuckated grinding cutting bib from Carharrt and, this idiot posting it. :lol:
Isn't hard to see what I did once you purchase the bibs.Baddest hot weather apron on the planet. :D
The belts position ansd stitching keeps the stiff canvas protecting the sides of the legs.I re-did that a couple times to get it to work.
    Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:38 pm

Antorcha wrote:When I responded on Boob T00B I said I'd post the moddifuckated grinding cutting bib from Carharrt and, this idiot posting it. :lol:
Isn't hard to see what I did once you purchase the bibs.Baddest hot weather apron on the planet. :D
The belts position ansd stitching keeps the stiff canvas protecting the sides of the legs.I re-did that a couple times to get it to work.
Awesome job on the apron . I have that same bib, use it for snow riding on the dirt bike, its a tough bib...never thought to re-purpose it like that. I have had to repair a few rips over the years on it, I've had good luck sewing it up with Kevlar fishing line as thread, then applying Loctite GO2 glue over the repair... holds up really well.
Great video's on the angle grinders, watched all 3 of them, thanks for posting !
dfarning
    Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:10 am

Another vote in support of your videos.

For some reason, my local technical college decided that all industrial classes would require full time enrolment. That makes it kind of hard for someone like me who wants to attend a class or two to improve a skill or learn something new.

These videos are invaluable learning tools.

David
BLURAT
    Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:35 am

UV,

Awesome information there ! I thank you. You are certainly correct on the DeWalts. I have one at my workplace and it's about 12 years old. The other day our young whipper snapper of Deckhand found me and said it's shorted out and won't work.
I took it apart and found the factory original connector terminals from the main cord had just worn down over the years (these things have TONS of hours grinding rust for paint repair and metal prep) so I removed the originals and crimped on some new ring connectors...she fired right up !

Another personal tip: I will regularly take our pinpoint air nozzle (with a reasonable psi) and blow the vents and exhaust ports out. This keeps accumulated rust and metal dust from gumming things up and they seem to breath easier;like an air filter on an engine.

Thanks for your videos - Shawn
    Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:31 pm

Nice work on your vids, UV. You hit the nail on the head when you nailed your head with that grinder. I was once wearing a loose t-shirt while using a wire wheel which of course, caught the flapping-in-the-wind shirt and tore to shreds not only my shirt, but my belly as well. All is good now and I learned that suffering for your art doesn't need to be painful. Some lessons I learned? For wire wheels, I use only the knotted cup style, when I do use one, as it's a little bit safer and throws fewer projectiles, loose clothing, NYET! Porcupine legs and forearms are the norm with wire wheels, so I avoid them. Don't forget the face shield when using ANY wire wheel,but at a minimum safety glasses; better yet, eliminate them from your repertoire, you will find other ways to do the same thing with things like flap wheels, etc.
Although you only touched on it in this series, I think that you understand the value of a neat workplace. I will stop work just to sweep and put away tools every once in a while, wipe off the welding table, collecting cords and other trip hazards. Makes the day that much better when you're not always working in filth and your work lays flat on the table...imagine that, improved fit-up. As you know from your many years experience in a metal shop, safety is on-going and proactive. Tripping in the messy metal shop could easily cost you teeth, an eye or even another hole like the collection in my head!!
Keep up the good work, you put a lot of consideration into the subject and supply good information that not only applies to newbies, but those more experienced like me, who forget about best practices when the clock pressure grows. A reminder or tune-up on safety is always timely, cheers! :D
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

great videos.
something there for everyone!
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

Good videos, thanks for posting. I also had a grinder with a wire wheel eat my tee shirt...it stopped just below my chin. :o
Saz
  • Saz
    Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:28 am

Great videos! I was hoping to see something in there with Metabo tools, but there wasnt. Oh well, still a very good series.
Lincoln MP210
Lincoln SW200
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

Posting to make sure I don't lose this thread... I def need some ed00mukashun on this subject....
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

Thank you UV! I thought the only thing to learn about grinding was some basics about what disc to use and learning how not to grind yourself. WOW! Seriously awesome information and you might have just influenced me to purchase another grinder :)
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)
FizHD
    Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:03 pm

Nice
Thanks!
LE 210MP
LE 200 TIG
Evolution Rage3
RoatanBill
    Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:35 pm

I posted this as a comment on the Harbor Freight site for their paddle switch angle grinder. It was meant to be whimsical, but I do like their grinder. I wanted to solve the cord problem.
I now own 9 of them, so I NEVER change what's on the spindle unless it's used up. I have spares as I'm on an island and it takes at least 2 weeks to get things shipped in. Those spares are actually used and sport duplicate spindle tools (cutting disk, cup brush, etc) so I can swap grinders when one starts to get hot from (mis)use. My tree is too small to hold all of them now, so I'm going to make a new one and hang it besides the original grinderensis roatansis :D
===============
New species of Harbor Freight tree discovered!

The tree, appropriately named grinderensis roatansis, is found only on the island of Roatan in the Caribbean.
It's discoverer knows it to be the only one of its kind.
This evolutionary development allows many angle grinders to occupy a small vertical space, and especially solves the power cord issue.
Earlier attempts at solving these problems invariably resulted in tools all over the place and cords being wrapped around the body of the tool resulting in an unruly power cord.
This new species of tree may spread to other areas of the world where fertile minds and a bit of welding can create clones.
Attachments
IMG_20160929_091844.jpg
IMG_20160929_091844.jpg (72.5 KiB) Viewed 2455 times
bosulli
    Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:40 am

Saw you videos on YouTube. I am new to grinders, and you had good, solid, and complete info.