Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
Sonoco
    Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:02 pm

Searching for an experienced MIG, TIG, Stick welder for our Beecher, IL plant. Good pay for the right candidate ($14.75 minimum to $20) depending on proven ability. We are a small plant of approx. 60 people but part of a multi-billion dollar corporation so we are able to offer the best in benefits such as health insurance, vision, dental, disability, 401k and more. How about a paid 40 hour vacation after only being a Sonoco employee for six months?!

Drug screens and background checks are performed prior to hire. This a temp to perm position - new hire paperwork will be approx. 60 days after beginning as a temp. We do NOT string you along then not hire you!!!

Beecher is an easy drive from the Chicagoland area or NW Indiana. Look us up on Sonoco.com and on google maps then give me a call Tena 708-946-3470
Tena Ross
Sonoco Protective Solutions
ThermoSafe Durable Containers
30553 S Dixie Hwy
Beecher, Illinois 60401

Main: 708-946-3244
Direct: 708-946-3470
Mobile: 708-465-4590

Tena.Ross@Sonoco.com
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi, Tena,

Since you've not introduced yourself, I'm going to pick at you for just a second.

You state "$14.75 to $20.00". Is that the range available to start? (You don't specify.) Or is that the total range available for the described job? In other words, does the position "top out" at $20? (After which one must be promoted, or suffer "cost of living" increases for the balance of one's time there?)

We are not naïve, here.

Take a minute to say "hello" in the member introduction section, and you'll be taken more seriously.

Steve S
Sonoco

I'm truly sorry that you aren't taking a valid job offer seriously. Perhaps my faux pas was obvious to you but I am just a regular HR professional desperate to fill a need and it didn't occur to me to introduce myself, I was introducing my company and the position in the post.

The welder positions at my company are at two levels; Welder I and Welder II. We are looking for a Welder II and if that person can do all of the above mentioned welds, has experience as proof and in other ways is a "fit" for the position, that person would be started at the $20 mentioned in the ad. If not, the starting rate would be less. As far as raises go, that is something we will discuss during an interview.

I thought I was very up-front in my post... my purpose is not to mislead in any way. Did you think I was trying to hide something? If so, I need to change my post!

I'll go "introduce" myself now. BTW, very nice to meet you and thanks for the welcome.
Tena Ross
30553 S Dixie Hwy
Beecher, Illinois 60401

Tena.Ross@Sonoco.com
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

It might help to specify what certs are required (at least for top entry level pay you quoted) to me that seems pretty low if you want someone with 6G certs for all metals you listed. Esp for a temp ( no benefits) job. People with those kind of skills are making heck of a lot more.
Sonoco

We are not requiring any certs. Also, it is not a TEMP position... it is a temp to perm position which I stated in my first post. We're talking two months. 60 calendar days. Also, to make certain that we were offering the correct wage we had wage surveys done for our area.

You know, when I found this site and joined, I read the rules to make sure I wasn't breaking any by posting my job. I also read the first post in this forum which stated:
Postby Otto Nobedder » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:06 pm

I invite job browsers to review this. It does not apply to the great majority here, but all should be aware.

I have one gripe with job boards. I do not want to see it become a habit here.

Simply put, if you don't like the job or the wages, all you need do is not apply.

You may get a "warm fuzzy" out of telling the poster you won't work for those wages. Keep it to yourself. He already knows many won't. We don't care, and we don't want or need to hear it. The job you're laughing at may be the job that makes a green hand's car payment, or saves someone's house.

We are only now beginning to see a few legitimate job posts, and that will not expand, if the posters must suffer abuse from those who think pride comes from putting others down.

If this is not you, feel welcome to browse and question
I also read this:
1. Be respectful. Personal attacks, bullying, taunting, harassing or otherwise inflammatory conduct will not be tolerated.
2. Be accurate. To the best of your ability, post the truth.
3. Keep it clean. Please avoid using profanity and refrain from posting innapropriate comments, images or files here.
4. Don't spam or advertise in threads. We keep our forum clean, so we require approval for first time posters. Once your post is approved, this restriction is lifted for the rest of your membership with us.
5. Don't gripe about wages on job posting threads. If you have an issue with the post, just don't apply for the job. Lots of us here are new to the trade and are in need of entry level gigs.

Thanks!
I am truly sorry that my position is not appealing to you. Perhaps I've made a mistake coming here. But, it is a valid job and if you want jobs posted you might try being a little nicer.
Tena Ross
30553 S Dixie Hwy
Beecher, Illinois 60401

Tena.Ross@Sonoco.com
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Tena,
Welcome to the forum.

Understand please that nobody here wants to deter you from offering jobs to someone who might be a perfect fit for both of you. We have people here with all levels of experience and probably all levels of income. While your offer might not live up to some folks expectations, it might be just what someone on here needs.

We are generally a friendly group, but we will call you out on the particulars of anything posted here without discrimination, not because we are trying to be hostile, we just like to have everything upfront. I for one don't think you made the wrong choice by posting here, you'll just have to face some questions that you normally wouldn't get from an interviewee. Most folks on here already have a career and have been through many job proposals that didn't live up to their original offer. If your job offer is what it appears to be, and I hope it is, then you have nothing to worry about.

I hope you find somebody here that fills your needs and it also gives them a chance to provide for their family.

Good Luck.

Len
Last edited by Braehill on Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Tena, I meant no offence.

You are most certainly welcome to offer jobs here. We just tend to be protective of our membership, and will ask the questions that don't occur to the younger/greener hand.

As someone who's been at this many years, and been through many jobs, I thought I was asking a fair question, whether that $20 was the peak of the starting wage available, or top-out for the position. The answer (Which you gave; Thank you.) helps the more experienced welder decide whether to consider the position or not, and helps the green hand know where the position may take him.

It's not uncommon for recruiters to not know those details (handed a job detail and little else), and unintentionally mislead people (because we tend to make assumptions, rather than ask questions), so I asked.

Steve S
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

This is were you begin to learn about the personality of the welder. :D
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Sonoco

Just so we're all clear, I'm not a headhunter, I'm technically a Plant Administrative Coordinator. Basically that means that I do HR, Recruiting, Payroll, Quality and Safety. I'm just a little busy :lol:
Tena Ross
30553 S Dixie Hwy
Beecher, Illinois 60401

Tena.Ross@Sonoco.com
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

How many welders work there now?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Sonoco

Only 1 but should be 2 possibly 3. The welder we have is level 1. We need a level 2.
Tena Ross
30553 S Dixie Hwy
Beecher, Illinois 60401

Tena.Ross@Sonoco.com