Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
1hawnfisherman
    Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi i'm new to this forum, but been doing some research on inverter welders and want to upgrade my Lincoln square wave 175.I was looking into a HTP invertig 221, want to know what's everyones feedback, can't afford a miller right now. Has anyone had problem's with their 221?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome aboard!

This section is actually for members to make suggestions and give feedback to the forum. I suppose that's not made too clear.

No worries. I will move your topic into the TIG-specific section. Several members have experience with your machine.

Steve S
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

1hawnfisherman wrote:Has anyone had problem's with their 221?
You can search the internet from one end to the other, and you won't find any complaints about HTP (USAweld.com) or their products.

Good quality and legendary service.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
1hawnfisherman

Otto Nobedder wrote:Welcome aboard!

This section is actually for members to make suggestions and give feedback to the forum. I suppose that's not made too clear.

No worries. I will move your topic into the TIG-specific section. Several members have experience with your machine.

Steve S
Thanks Steve
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I have had the 221 for close to 4 years now. Very very excellent machine and the best customer service. Around Thanksgiving they run a pretty good sale!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

had mine since Dec '13. No issues what so ever.
1hawnfisherman

Thanks for the feedback everyone :D
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

i too have one and like it. it does more than the miller 250 syncrowave i have
with less energy use.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

You better get on the order list now because they will run out for the Black Friday sale.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I'd never heard of HTP machines before. Just checked out there site and my interest is in the mig set ups. Are some of you also using them?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
1hawnfisherman

motox wrote:i too have one and like it. it does more than the miller 250 syncrowave i have
with less energy use.
craig

What kind of hours do you have on your machine? I was told that becaues it's a smaller machine and it's gotta "work" harder, was thinking about a regular transformer machine but everything I read about the 221 is exceptional . I'm about to pull the trigger on this machine.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

motox wrote:
i too have one and like it. it does more than the miller 250 syncrowave i have
with less energy use.
craig

not a lot maybe 40 or 50 but Oscar might have more on his machine.
plenty on syncrowave.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

Since I bought mine in Dec '13, I've gone through about seven or eight 125 ft³ @ about 18 CFH average if you factor in post-flow. So right around 50 hours on mine.
[X]Outlaw
    Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm

I purchased mine Dec of 2014 and have been using it every weekend since. It's my first welder so I don't have anything to compare it to but the machine has been a pleasure to work with.

The only complaint I have is how loud with cooler is, I'm not sure if that how loud all Tig coolers are. It's not unbearable, just louder than I thought it would be.

Other than that I've really been enjoying using the machine :D
SmartDave
    Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:43 pm

I have one as well. Love the machine. More features than I will ever use

Sent from my SM-T715Y using Tapatalk
Milkbone
    Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:23 pm

Does anyone know what the plug style is for the pedal? Is it the miller style?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milkbone wrote:Does anyone know what the plug style is for the pedal? Is it the miller style?

it's a 7-pin kinda deal.
Milkbone

Ok thanks. Doesn't sound like it would be compatible with a miller pedal.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Milkbone wrote:Ok thanks. Doesn't sound like it would be compatible with a miller pedal.

Miller pedals are available in both 7-pin and 14-pin configurations. I won't promise you that either the seven-pin is compatible, though it likely is, or that the resistance of the potentiometer is correct for the machine. Miller uses a 1Kohm pot. Some imported machines use a 5K, 10K, or even a 23K pot.

Some research is in order.

Steve S
Milkbone

Thanks for the info.

Deepwinter
    Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:58 am

Otto Nobedder wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:12 pm
Milkbone wrote:Ok thanks. Doesn't sound like it would be compatible with a miller pedal.

Miller pedals are available in both 7-pin and 14-pin configurations. I won't promise you that either the seven-pin is compatible, though it likely is, or that the resistance of the potentiometer is correct for the machine. Miller uses a 1Kohm pot. Some imported machines use a 5K, 10K, or even a 23K pot.

Steve S
Does anyone know what resistance pedals are typically compatible for HTP welders, I'm trying to find out what pedal would work for the HTP Inverarc 200 TLP & the HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS.
I have the Stel versions being from Europe Ireland, the price to get one direct is just to much $485. There are a couple third party options for half that price, but I'm not sure what resistance to get.
Thanks
Stel Iron mig 221p
Stel Max dp 201C

ESAB Rogue Es 200i PRO Dual Voltage
Weco 221ac/dc evo

R-Tech P50HF Plasma Cutter
Mosa GE 13000 SC Generator (Diesel)
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Deepwinter wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:35 am Does anyone know what resistance pedals are typically compatible for HTP welders, I'm trying to find out what pedal would work for the HTP Inverarc 200 TLP & the HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS.
I have the Stel versions being from Europe Ireland, the price to get one direct is just to much $485. There are a couple third party options for half that price, but I'm not sure what resistance to get.
Thanks
Check SSC pedals. They make compatible styles for nearly every manufacturer and their pedals are very, very good.

Deepwinter wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:35 am

Steve S
Does anyone know what resistance pedals are typically compatible for HTP welders, I'm trying to find out what pedal would work for the HTP Inverarc 200 TLP & the HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS.
Thanks
All my HTP welders that use a remote amperage control use a 10k for the actual potentiometer, and a 220k for the sensing pins to detect the remote amperage control, whether it be a pedal or hand operated slider control. Let me know if you need wiring help or sourcing the connectors. I've made my own hand operated slider controls from scratch (3D Printed) so I'm very familiar with the whole process.

Post up some pics of your Stel machines. Here are mine:

:D
Deepwinter
    Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:58 am

Oscar wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:05 am
Deepwinter wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:35 am

Steve S
Thanks
All my HTP welders that use a remote amperage control use a 10k for the actual potentiometer, and a 220k for the sensing pins to detect the remote amperage control, whether it be a pedal or hand operated slider control. Let me know if you need wiring help or sourcing the connectors. I've made my own hand operated slider controls from scratch (3D Printed) so I'm very familiar with the whole process.

Post up some pics of your Stel machines. Here are mine:

:D
Thanks so much Oscar that's exactly the information I was looking for.

I'll see how I go and I might hit you up for a little assistant if I get stuck.

I've been really impressed with the Stel Machines, for any Europeans interested in the Pro pulse 220 equivalent,
One thing to be aware of if by default it doesn't come with a 14 pin connector.

But you can order the welder with it as an extra which is what I did it was a really cheap upgrade less then €20
It can also be upgraded later if you already got the machine.

I got the heads up on this from watching Peter Zila's YouTube.

Thanks for the reply cj737, they do look like nice pedals, but it doesn't often makes sense unfortunately to buy from the US, between shipping and import duty & VAT it bumps the prices up a fair bit.

Luckily there is a couple UK and EU third party options.

My Max dp 201C is a little scuffed :oops: , it's my go to for mobile stick work and is often on site to close to the work resulting in the odd scratch here or there, I've ordered a Stel remote 600571000L(Remote Control RC1) from my Stel supplier with 20m cable to keep the welder in the van or at least away from the work. There remote was pretty reasonable €230 including VAT which is 23% in Ireland :cry: , that's about $240 in freedom Dollars (AvE) :)

It's such a great little machine runs super smooth, I run it off the generator in the Van with no problems its been a mighty little workhorse.

How have you found the Stel P80 btw Oscar? it looks like a nice Plasma.

Stel Iron mig 221p
Stel Max dp 201C

ESAB Rogue Es 200i PRO Dual Voltage
Weco 221ac/dc evo

R-Tech P50HF Plasma Cutter
Mosa GE 13000 SC Generator (Diesel)

The P80 works great. I love how it only needs 11 amps on 400V/3-phase so I can take it to the backyard on a 35 meter 16/4 cord and still have full power available. However, it will be most likely delegated to a CNC plasma table once I get it set up. The S300 is just as nice, and weirdly it doesn't "sing" like the dp201c/200TLP; I would have figured it would, but then again it doesnt have that high-end DSP the dp201c has (or maybe just a different one?). It's too bad HTP disconinued the dp201c. I think it was just too darn expensive given the amperage, even though that arc quality was on par with the cost.