Discussion about tradeschools, techschools, universities and other programs.
tschmitt
    Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:26 pm

With tax season getting closer I am starting to get everything in order. I was wondering how much of the supplies that I have had to purchase for school can be claimed on my taxes. I am married, me and my wife file a joint return and she was the only one working during 2015 while I was a full time student. I already know that I do not have to claim money received from my GI Bill every month but was course if my Miller shield, boots, multiple pairs of gloves, chipping hammer etc. would be something we could claim on our taxes. I know its probably something best suited to ask an accountant but was wondering if anyone has any info/experience with this before so I know if its worth getting all my receipts together or not. Thank you for any info/insight that anyone can provide.
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." VINCE LOMBARDI
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I found this
https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Qualified-Ed-Expenses

...but you should search around on the irs.gov site to get the full picture. I use TurboTax, and it prompts you to list those kinds of expenses, but I haven't had that kind of expense so I can't speak knowledgeably.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
tschmitt
    Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:26 pm

I was poking around the irs website and started looking nut was wondering if anyone knew or could point me in the right direction, I will check it out. Thank you
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." VINCE LOMBARDI