Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
Turbo
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

First Post. I'm Robert and I'm currently a senior mechanical engineering student at Milwaukee School of Engineering. Despite my average performance at a top engineering school and a supposed shortage of engineers my career prospects are grim. Insert long rant about how I'd much rather be working with metal than people here. I guess the plan has always been to start my own business building race cars or something like that as soon as possible after graduation. I'm a self/youtube taught mig and tig welder. I've been trying to fit some formal training into the schedule for years, but I've haven't ever found the courses I want a la carte. Anyway I guess the question is whether there is any use or benefit for a welder with an engineering degree or would it be just something that hangs on the wall if I decide to go the welding route?
Miller Dynasty 210dx

instagram: rsengineeringllc
Turbo

I found an add looking for 20 field service technicians with welding experience. HS diploma required bachelors degrees considered. That sounds like something I could do. So I've been searching for "field service engineer" jobs. I didn't mention I was a aircraft powertrain repairer in the Army for six years. I enjoyed it up until I got promoted into a babysitting role. My current plan is to get some formal welding training over the summer if I again don't find an internship. Probably at Fox Valley Technical College.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Being a field service tech has some challenges and rewards. Depending on who you work for or what kind of equipment you work on you still end up being the face to face between the customer and the company. Look into any job adds for service work very carefully. The pay and expectations vary widely. Some companies expect and require you to provide all your own tools and consumables. Look close and hard and be a bit skeptical unless it's in writing. That said you will probably see some things others will never see or even believe are possible.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
hacadacalopolis
    Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:14 am

Hey turbo, If I were in your shoes I wouldnt stop looking to find any door that could open up for the Engineering field. If you have the experience for entry level entrepreneurship/job- go for it.
I guess if you understand the types of weld testing, metallurgy, and blueprint design/fitup why not start by getting licesnses and certs that the welding inspectors go after.
Are you not recieving a 4 year degree in the engineering field? If not i guess disregard what i said, and look at what you can in your area for a starter welding job.
Other things to consider are; Traveling to find work. NDT technicians, Also(like you mentioned) starting a business- which requires $$, Welding Inspector...etc
Turbo

I've got a little less than a year left to get my BSME. I'm definitely finishing it.
Miller Dynasty 210dx