A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
cjohnson98
    Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:21 pm

I was looking to buy a welder for my house. I am a welding student at the moment but needed something affordable and reliable. The new AHP Alpha Tig is only 700 bucks. I was wondering if anyone has used this machine before and if it worth getting for at home use. I have read reviews on it and also many videos, im not really worried about the attachments (foot pedal, torch, ect.) because I will be replacing them or getting more anyway. All of the reviews I have read and the videos I have watched, it seems to be a good machine, not only for the price but as a welder in general. Any feedback would be great! Thank you!

I've got a 2015 model. I'm learning how to TIG with it. No grumbles, so far it's working as advertised. Seems to be a well constructed unit.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

welcome new guy
Tig is addictive
Big old Transformers stable output at high amps,large current draw,
Inverters lots of adjustments, low current draw,
Tigging is highly operator dependant for quality.(practice,seat time)
See TamJeff .high quality,old transformer aluminium welds
See Zank, new welder with lots of adjustments quality aluminium welds.
Opinions vary for each, and success for each.
One size does not fit all.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
cjohnson98

Thank you for the feedback. I have been TIG welding for about a year and I can also weld aluminum. I learned, and am still learning, on a Miller Syncrowave 200. I think im just going to get the AHP just to get me started becuase the feedback on that machine sounds good!
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

I owned an alphaTIG for a while and I am accused of being a hater. But honestly, my view is if you are going to replace all the accessories, you are probably better off buying an everlast unit instead. its going to cost you $150 for an SSC pedal, and around the same number for an upgraded torch. Now your into the unit for ~$1000 to $1100. I think there are better choices when you get to that price point. Also, My experience with the AlphaTIG was it was a horrible stick welder. That's the main reason I got rid of it.
Multimatic 255
cjohnson98

Louie1961 wrote:I owned an alphaTIG for a while and I am accused of being a hater. But honestly, my view is if you are going to replace all the accessories, you are probably better off buying an everlast unit instead. its going to cost you $150 for an SSC pedal, and around the same number for an upgraded torch. Now your into the unit for ~$1000 to $1100. I think there are better choices when you get to that price point. Also, My experience with the AlphaTIG was it was a horrible stick welder. That's the main reason I got rid of it.
I was looking at the Everlast micro TIG 185 also but the AHP has pulse, and also more amps than the Everlast. Im not sure which one to go to!
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

I have never owned or run an everlast, but it seems to me if you are replacing all the accessories anyway, the Powertig 200DX seems a better deal. It has hot start and arc force adjustment which will make it a better stick welder, comes with a nicer foot pedal, and a few other features that seem worth the extra money to me.
Multimatic 255

cjohnson98 wrote:
Louie1961 wrote:I owned an alphaTIG for a while and I am accused of being a hater. But honestly, my view is if you are going to replace all the accessories, you are probably better off buying an everlast unit instead. its going to cost you $150 for an SSC pedal, and around the same number for an upgraded torch. Now your into the unit for ~$1000 to $1100. I think there are better choices when you get to that price point. Also, My experience with the AlphaTIG was it was a horrible stick welder. That's the main reason I got rid of it.
I was looking at the Everlast micro TIG 185 also but the AHP has pulse, and also more amps than the Everlast. Im not sure which one to go to!
You may want to compare the duty cycle of each unit.

"Duty cycle is a welding equipment specification which defines the number of minutes, within a 10 minute period, during which a given welder can safely produce a particular welding current. For example, a 150 amp. welder with a 30% duty cycle must be "rested" for at least 7 minutes after 3 minutes of continuous welding."
Richard
Website
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Louie1961 wrote:I have never owned or run an everlast, but it seems to me if you are replacing all the accessories anyway, the Powertig 200DX seems a better deal. It has hot start and arc force adjustment which will make it a better stick welder, comes with a nicer foot pedal, and a few other features that seem worth the extra money to me.
The AHP has heavier stick and ground clamp leads as well as a better torch and pedal as far as build quality goes compared to the EX or EXT series Everlast machines. Unlike Louis I have used multiple Everlast machine and personally own a Powertig 185. Also have a 210ext here at my home right now.
I also happen to be a distributor for both brands. Though I rarely sell an Everlast machine. I much prefer the AHP200x for TIG unless you real need the 5 amp low end, advanced 4T with adjustable up and down slope, or the extended pulse to 500htz of the Everlast. The AHP was purposely designed with a larger transformer and moderate arc force to accelerate the ease of learning Stick welding with a lot less "sticking"

Louis is not telling you he bought a used broken AHP of Craigslist/eBay. then constantly complained until AHP gave him brand new welder free just to try and free themselves of his constant complaining. Then he sold it for $700 and spent $900 to buy 2 syncrowave machines used and then flipped one of them for $2000. Yet he continues on multiple forums to trash AHP TIG machines that have gone through multiple improvements from the version he had. On top of that he recommends a different brand as being better, yet he has never even used, let alone owned one.

Anyway, if Louis insists on constantly sharing his opinion I will continue to fill in the blanks he conveniently leaves in the story

I spent over a year testing AHP welders before I got involved with the brand as a distributor. For the money they are the best bang for the buck out there IMHO most customers find the current accessories and pedal perfectly fine and don't replace them. If we included a $160 SSC pedal and CK torch then the machine would be over $1000. That said the new Orange torch performs much better than the red hose one. Of which there are a couple versions of that as it was upgraded a few times. A new premium pedal is being designed now and should be available in a few months. Will be competitive with SSC from my understanding.

Let me know if you have anymore questions. I did post an extensive review here a while back, long before I was involved with them. There is also an extensive AHP owners there's over on WeldingWeb.com forums
Cheers
Soutthpaw
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

LtBadd wrote:
cjohnson98 wrote:
You may want to compare the duty cycle of each unit.

"Duty cycle is a welding equipment specification which defines the number of minutes, within a 10 minute period, during which a given welder can safely produce a particular welding current. For example, a 150 amp. welder with a 30% duty cycle must be "rested" for at least 7 minutes after 3 minutes of continuous welding."
You won't hit the duty cycle on the AHP. Trust me I've tried multiple times.
cjohnson98

soutthpaw wrote:
Louie1961 wrote:I have never owned or run an everlast, but it seems to me if you are replacing all the accessories anyway, the Powertig 200DX seems a better deal. It has hot start and arc force adjustment which will make it a better stick welder, comes with a nicer foot pedal, and a few other features that seem worth the extra money to me.
The AHP has heavier stick and ground clamp leads as well as a better torch and pedal as far as build quality goes compared to the EX or EXT series Everlast machines. Unlike Louis I have used multiple Everlast machine and personally own a Powertig 185. Also have a 210ext here at my home right now.
I also happen to be a distributor for both brands. Though I rarely sell an Everlast machine. I much prefer the AHP200x for TIG unless you real need the 5 amp low end, advanced 4T with adjustable up and down slope, or the extended pulse to 500htz of the Everlast. The AHP was purposely designed with a larger transformer and moderate arc force to accelerate the ease of learning Stick welding with a lot less "sticking"

Louis is not telling you he bought a used broken AHP of Craigslist/eBay. then constantly complained until AHP gave him brand new welder free just to try and free themselves of his constant complaining. Then he sold it for $700 and spent $900 to buy 2 syncrowave machines used and then flipped one of them for $2000. Yet he continues on multiple forums to trash AHP TIG machines that have gone through multiple improvements from the version he had. On top of that he recommends a different brand as being better, yet he has never even used, let alone owned one.

Anyway, if Louis insists on constantly sharing his opinion I will continue to fill in the blanks he conveniently leaves in the story

I spent over a year testing AHP welders before I got involved with the brand as a distributor. For the money they are the best bang for the buck out there IMHO most customers find the current accessories and pedal perfectly fine and don't replace them. If we included a $160 SSC pedal and CK torch then the machine would be over $1000. That said the new Orange torch performs much better than the red hose one. Of which there are a couple versions of that as it was upgraded a few times. A new premium pedal is being designed now and should be available in a few months. Will be competitive with SSC from my understanding.

Let me know if you have anymore questions. I did post an extensive review here a while back, long before I was involved with them. There is also an extensive AHP owners there's over on WeldingWeb.com forums
Cheers
Soutthpaw
Hey man thank you for your honest input! Sounds like I'm going to get the AHP, I appriciate all feedback and thank y'all for the help!
BFTrout
    Thu May 15, 2014 10:13 am

Santa brought me an alpha tig this year. This is the second tig machine I've used, and the first one I've owned. The tig side seems to be just fine for my developing skills and I have tried every function in both 2t and 4t. mine is a 2016 machine with the newer torch with heavier duty hose (which is not heat resistant btw). to date I really don't have any complaints on how the machine functions. my only gripe is I warped the collet inside the torch after using it a day (chalking that up to a crappy/el cheapo component).
it has been years since I've used a tig machine, so the pedal didn't bother me. I just had to put a chunk of rubber on the bottom to keep it from sliding away.
the stick side of the machine works better than my old tombstone. never experienced the "fancier" functions on a higher end stick welder, so I was pleased it burned 6010/6011/7014/7018 all fine.
the only thing I have not tried yet is running on 110. never had a need yet, but appreciate it's portability.
BFTrout
cjohnson98

Sounds good to me man! I think im going to go with the AHP to get me started! Thank you for for all the input guys!
p40whk
    Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:04 pm

I bought one and love it! Can't beat the price for what you get.

Here are a couple reviews to help you decide, the first is SouthPaw's review of the 2015? model and the second is a comparison video of similar priced machines:

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... 200#p54093

https://youtu.be/oISSe0Itq7U
nailbanger138
    Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:56 pm

I have some questions about these machines as well. Have any of you that own them had long term success? How have the held up after a year or so?
    Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:08 am

nailbanger138 wrote:I have some questions about these machines as well. Have any of you that own them had long term success? How have the held up after a year or so?
Mines at about a year now and it's just fine. I'm glad I bought.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk