Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Ski-Weld
    Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:50 am

Hello everyone!
I am new to the blog, but I have been following Jody on Youtube for some time. Anyways, I have been welding cross-country pipe for 8 years now, and I want to get into power plant and refinery work and need to pass some certs. Everything I have done before has been XX10 (6010, 8010) electrode all welded downhill. What I am needing to tackle now is a 6010 root with a 7018 fill and cap. To my understanding, isn't the 7018 fill and cap done uphill? I am asking this because I am currently taking a night welding course and the instructor is telling me that his test is welded downhill on one side of the pipe and then uphill on the other. Anyone ever heard of this before?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

That sounds interesting. I've never heard of it but he may have had a weld procedure written up to cover both. My certs on pipe are technically all up progression.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

Procedures that are written in accordance with ASME Sec IX can have uphill and/or downhill progression. There is some allowance for multiple variables to be used in a single coupon so what is being done may be valid.
Gerald Austin
If I didn't say it in the post- Have a great day !
Greeneville Tn
Ski-Weld

I just find it confusing since the information I have from Lincoln on 7018 says that it is good for all positions except vertical down. I have class tonight, so I'll be able to go over it more with my instructor to clear things up.

Thanks for the replies
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Does anyone know of a 7018 rod that is endorsed by the manufacturer for the vertical down position?
I've looked but had no success yet.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
TigMonster
    Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:16 pm

Coldman wrote:Does anyone know of a 7018 rod that is endorsed by the manufacturer for the vertical down position?
7018 is not a down rod

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Coldman

Supposedly so but there has been alot of talk about it including use in qualified procedures and in formal training. Some state there are specific 7018 rods for this purpose.
Personally I don't think a wps is valid if it nominates a rod for a position not validated by the manufacturer. Also a I don't think a good trainer would do so either.
This is their chance to turn here say into fact.
Poland308

The 1 in the 7018 means it's designated for any position.

Josh
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Run a 7018 downhill and take a grinder to it. Then do the same with a 6010.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
Coldman

That's not the point. I want the people who claim to have used down hand 7018 rods to tell us the make and part number of their rods so we can verify with the manufacturer that they actually exist.
Diesel

Whatever... If you were to check Lincoln's website and check all rod descriptions the only rod the recommended was a 7016. I can regoogle and post the URL if you would like. Bottom line if the manufacturer doesn't recommend it, I wouldn't do it as you are now solely responsible and can go to jail for that weld failure. Enjoy your day
Coldman

I have checked many websites including Lincoln and found the same as you which I already knew.
Your comments are correct and I agree with them.
There are plenty of people all over the web for a long time who claimed to have used 7018 down hand rods. None have given a brand or part number for these mysterious rods.
I don't claim to know everything (in fact I don't claim to know anything at all besides beer and bbq) so I merely ask out of interest if one of these people to please identify these purpose built down hand 7018 rods.
Just giving an opportunity before the bs call.
Diesel

I really appreciate you being civil even tho I'm an a$$
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

Coldman wrote:Does anyone know of a 7018 rod that is endorsed by the manufacturer for the vertical down position?
Gerald Austin
If I didn't say it in the post- Have a great day !
Greeneville Tn
Coldman

It's all cool man. I could easy tell more explanation from me was required here rather than a bite :)
Coldman

E7048 got it thanks,

Interesting. Finally we see a low hy vertical down hand rod. Not many manufacturers. I see Lincoln also have an E10045 which they also call a low hy down hand rod.

So to the original OP, your teacher knows what he is doing by making you go up and down on fill/cap. Are you using E7048 rods?

Anyone used these rods and care to comment on how they go?

Reading up on it I see you need to hold a tight arc and use straight stringers only, no weaving.
Ski-Weld

Coldman wrote: So to the original OP, your teacher knows what he is doing by making you go up and down on fill/cap. Are you using E7048 rods?
I am using 7018, and come to find out that it is only for uphill. I'm not sure if my instructor was confused on what I was asking him last week or what, but I've got it all figured out. I think what he was talking about was the 6010 cross country pipe option for downhill and then the 7018 fill and cap uphill. They are two different tests.
I did look into the 7048 LH rod for downhill, and that would be yet another certification. We have to remember that a cert test is only good for each position, process and material.
Poland308

I asked one of our local instructers he said the same as what's already here. He said down hill was either 6010 or a 704? Rod.

Josh
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Esab - atom arc.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.
Coldman

Thanks Bill. Checked with the manufacturer regarding Atom Arc 7018:

"Hi Vic,

Although these electrodes are referred to as all positional, they are not suitable for use in the vertical down position.

Regards

Technical Services

CIGWELD PTY LTD - An ESAB Brand
71 Gower Street, Preston 3072, Victoria, Australia
T 1300 654 674 D +61 3 9474 7412 F +61 3 9474 7361"
Coldman

After all the searching I've done I decided to ask a pipeliner buddy of mine if he knew of such a rod. He said "sure they're called 27P rods. Cantankerous rods to get used to due to the thin flux coating but work good once you get used to them. Particularly at starts, if you lift the rod slightly striking an arc the weld looks like moonbase 1. Gotta keep a very tight arc. Run on plates help alot for structural work."

So here it is: http://www.esab.ae/ae/en/products/index ... ode=410633

E8018 vertical downhill rods.

Very tempting for a video ain't it. You know its gonna eat away at you until you do. ;)
Midwest_813
    Sun May 15, 2016 10:41 pm

Hello everyone,
My name is Aaron and my message is for help concerning a pipe cert i'm in the middle of trying to take. It is either going to be done on 3" or 6" steel pipe done in the 5g position. I'm in school currently and have about a week left. I have already took two ther certs one mig 3g plate and tig 2f plate and passed both. My question is this. My instructors cant seem to find the correct code for this process to show me the exact measurements min. and max. of the length overall once the pipe is welded. I had everything beveled and ready at 30 % and they tell me that its not 8" overall that it might be 9" or even 12". So I have no time left and I'm freaking out because of time and the fact I paid extra for this cert. Please help. my email is midwest_813@yahoo.com or you can even call me 419-632-3046. Thanks a bunch . Need help asap.
FTSNShrek
    Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:10 pm

I have seen 7014 used downhand on pipe and plate.
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

anyone here ever welded 7018 down hill? i have.. not fond of it
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
AlphaWelder
    Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:13 am

If you can ask to see their welding procedure it should detail which rod they use and uphill vs downhill. If you are doing a welder qualification for a contractor they should have a qualified WPS you are certifying against.