Ideas & suggestions for videos
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

I can't be the only one trying to learn tig with a "toaster". I picked up a cheap 120 volt inverter because the sales guy said "It's a tig welder too". It will only manage about 70 amps before it blows my 15 amp breaker. I have an electrician adding a sub panel to my garage this week and my Everlast 185dv should be here monday. I am willing to box up the toaster and send it to Jody for the purposes of making a video showing what such a tiny machine can actually do on a 15 amp circuit. I'll pay shipping both ways and there is no time limit. Interested? As mentioned, there have to be a fair number of people struggling with this. At least with the 185dv, I'll have enough machine so I can no longer blame the equipment, it'll all be me.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

sedanman wrote:I can't be the only one trying to learn tig with a "toaster". I picked up a cheap 120 volt inverter because the sales guy said "It's a tig welder too". It will only manage about 70 amps before it blows my 15 amp breaker. I have an electrician adding a sub panel to my garage this week and my Everlast 185dv should be here monday. I am willing to box up the toaster and send it to Jody for the purposes of making a video showing what such a tiny machine can actually do on a 15 amp circuit. I'll pay shipping both ways and there is no time limit. Interested? As mentioned, there have to be a fair number of people struggling with this. At least with the 185dv, I'll have enough machine so I can no longer blame the equipment, it'll all be me.
I have the Powertig 185DV. It's a great little machine...
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

sedanman wrote:I can't be the only one trying to learn tig with a "toaster"...
No. This is a common experience. Your first warning should have been in the words, "The salesman said..."

I've had remarkable success with very minimal Harbor Freight machines, but I've been welding over 30 years. The toasters are not ideal for beginners. I think you're going to love the Everlast after your previous experience.

Steve S
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Go to a dedicated 25 amp circuit and things will be better.
sedanman

Right, and it's coming. The electrician is at the house today. But there are people that will only ever have access to 15 amps of 120 volt power.
sedanman

Ok. This is with the toaster. I have burned about a quarter pound of tig rod in my lifetime. l know these welds look like fidos butt. I ran out shame many years ago so here is a shot from today's practice session. This would be so much easier with a mentor watching over my shoulder. I just got a stubby gas lense/tig finger bundle and the included bonus cd had a clip of Jody welding this same joint on 80 amps, he said it was the minimum amperage and not ideal but it could be done, so I tried it. Can only get better from here.
Attachments
20160423_140245.jpeg
20160423_140245.jpeg (37.89 KiB) Viewed 3106 times
Last edited by sedanman on Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

That ain't damn bad at all for a toaster! I see one spot of undercut in one ripple.

I like your comment about running out of shame. I relate to it; You can not embarrass me. ( I still can, but I won't let others...)

Steve S
sedanman

Thank you for the encouragement.
sedanman

20160425_171104.jpg
20160425_171104.jpg (25.12 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
The Everlast arrived yesterday................BROKEN!
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Now that really rots your socks. That's the downer of mail order vs bricks and mortar. Sorry about all the crap you are going through now.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

I bet that came UPS, an acronym for Universal Package Smashers.

I will be stunned if they honor a claim, as they will try to tell you Everlast did not adequately package the product.

Steve S
sedanman

I bought if off Home Depot .com. there is a written 30 day no questions asked return policy. Under the terms of the policy, there doesn't have to be anything wrong with it for me to return it. I called them the moment l opened the box. I'm even using the broken one until the replacement arrives, then I'll return the broken one to the store. I don't have to ship the broken one.
sedanman

I managed this today with the Thermal Arc 95s. Running off a 20 amp breaker, set at 95 amps. 1/16 2% lanthinated, #6 cup, 15 cfm, lay wire. 1/8 cold rolled. I have a lot to work on, but l am open to criticism.
Attachments
20160430_130724.jpg
20160430_130724.jpg (40.06 KiB) Viewed 2744 times
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Needs more wire fed in and a little consistency work. But now too bad.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Even on thin stuff down to about 1/8 material if your doing a lap joint or even a fillet or open butt don't be afraid to do it in 2 passes. No it's not the fastest way but until you get some more time and practice it will make your finished product smoother. It won't sacrifice strength and it will give you confidence.

Edit. Especially with a low amp machine. I've run that little thermal arc 95 and had to use 3/32 6010 and 3/32 7018. And tig I stuck with filler wire 3/32 or smaller.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

sedanman wrote:I managed this today with the Thermal Arc 95s. Running off a 20 amp breaker, set at 95 amps. 1/16 2% lanthinated, #6 cup, 15 cfm, lay wire. 1/8 cold rolled. I have a lot to work on, but l am open to criticism.
You don't have enough power to leave the rod in the puddle - concentrate on getting an equal leg fillet in the root.

More arc needs to be directed at the lower plate than at the edge (the edge takes less heat to melt).

Watch the puddle wet out, feed a little rod, move forward, watch it wet out, feed rod, repeat.

I would be using 150 amps and motoring out on that thickness - but since you're using less, patience is the key.

After a really nice tight root pass - the second one on a now warmed up plate will finish the job :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
sedanman

Thank you. I will keep trying. I just got an Everlast 185dv because this little 95 amp machine was so frustrating but I'm not giving up on mastering this little machine.
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

that realy sucks on the welder coming like that. i guess i got lucky with my AHP 160..

i will have to add one thing though.. if one has a good welder AHP, everlast miller ect ect.. i think they tend to be able to do more with that 15 amps then the smaller toasters.. im not sure if its due to the fact that the toasters are less efficiant ie drawing more alot more power to get out that 80 amps vs 80 amps on something ment to do 160.. or if they just realy cant put out that 80 amps..

take for instance my HFT 80 amp welder has a hard time keeping 3/32 rods lit (evan turned all the way up), honestly i think about the only one that is for sure to light and stay lite is 6013.. but if i hook my AHP 160ST up to the same circut i can run 6011, 7018 6013 all day long as long as i do my part..
my thinking on the whole matter is effciancy of the welder to get out said amperage and i kinda feel that the toasters dont realy put out what they say either..
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.