Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
capozzoli
    Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:07 pm

First, new member here.. Great site I am so glad I found it. Looking forward to learning and contributing.

Anybody take the UA pipe welding tests for the open call? It is UA 21 and UA 41.

UA 21 is a open root joint on 2" schedule 40 pipe in the 6g with a 6010 root pass and 7018 fill. Im pretty sure with a little practice I will breeze that. The UA 41 is open root on 2" schedule 80. Both carbon steel pipe but the UA 41 is TIG and with 309 ss root and fill. Im gonna need more practice for that one.

I have been a combination welder for about 20 years, started working for the Navy. I have my own welding and fabrication shop now but times are tough to say the least. Lots of costumers not paying, going out of business or just plain getting rid of metal work all together.

Been thinking about bailing all together on the biz and getting in the union. Good thing is I have my own shop with all my own machines to practice with.

If you havent heard, what they are telling me is that if they approve your resume and you pass these welding tests you will be given a "provisional" journeyman status. You will then be eligible for work nation wide for which there is apparently a huge demand.

Trying to gather as much info about the test as I can. Its been a long time since I took qualification tests on pipe.

Thanks for any input in adanc and happy holidays to all.
Welding everything from the crack of dawn to a broken heart.
TheExpert

I appreciate all of the info that you guys have provided me. I'm just starting out so (you're right) I haven't taken many test (only 40 or so all being hodgpog of root/face bends, side bends, macroetch, dye pen, and x-ray) SO FAR! I'll be taking some certification tests and some UA test soon so that'll give me more tests under my belt.
karir
    Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:36 pm

i have certifications for ua tests # 1,14,21,22,41, & 91. i would be glad to share my knowledge
karir

oh by the way, the ua 21 test is on sched 120,not 40!
capozzoli

Cool, thanks.

Do they make you bevel the pipes and fit up the test coupons?

Do you have to set up your own back purge for the SS work?

Another big question, are you working, and what do you do if you dont mind me asking?

I haven't had a chance to set up the practice test coupons. Im hoping to get caught up soon so I can start running some pipe.

Im not sure if I am going to Annapolis to take the test or if it will be at when of the locals around here. I have to call after I am ready.

Im planning on setting up a rig truck.
karir

i am a union pipewelder. the coupons come beveled already. you do need to set up your own purge. thats very critical! on the 41 i used a 3/32 gap with 3/32 wire for the root, at about 70 amps. i switched to 1/8 wire for hot pass and kept out of the middle!move quickly from edge to edge & be sure to use 1/8 wire or you will get suckback!
capozzoli

Karir, what trade you in? Are you a pipe liner? Did you enter through the provisional journeymen program?

Im not sure I would ever want to be a pipe liner cause I dont want to leave my family for long periods of time. But I do want to set up a welding rig and be done with my fab shop.

Im wondering, cause I am a little older and more experienced, not sure I want to go through a 4 year apprenticeship program.

Are these tests crazy hard to pass? Im not that afraid. I have experience welding carbon, SS and aluminum pipe and I have my own shop to practice in. I just hear so much from pipe liners and what not that I should just forget it cause it is soooo hard. They say the contractors rep just watches you strike an arc and then says "thanks for coming out" as if they do not want anyone really.

I can pass these tests with a little practice. Just waiting to get caught up a little and I am gonna make up some coupons on the lathe. Ill post pics here for sure, maybe you can make a visual assessment for me? :D

Thanks for the info.

Have you taken any of the downhill 7010 tests? I have never done any of that.
despainatr
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:46 pm

The UA 21 is 2" xxh not 2" sch40
capozzoli

Thanks, and sorry for making that mistake.

Here is the chart for UA qualifications for anyone that is interested.

http://uatravelers.com/UA-WeldCerts.html
Jesseboy
    Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:53 pm

karir wrote:i have certifications for ua tests # 1,14,21,22,41, & 91. i would be glad to share my knowledge
..hey will you please give me a call i take my 21 this wensday need some tips please my name is jesse ..470 2760653