Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Alright guys. I've got a decent size test coming up in a few weeks. 6g 6" sch 80 carbon with 6010 root, 2g 3g and 4g flux core open root with a back grind and cap on 1/2" carbon, 6010 3g downhill with back grind and cap on 1/2" carbon, and a 6g 3" sch 40 tig stainless. I've done all these test before and passed, but its been a while since I've touched flux core and downhill 6010. Any veterans got any tips or secrets or any peptalks? Would really not want to drive 8 hrs home without a smile. In the meantime I'll be burning rod and thanks for all replies.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

6010 down hill I would recommend not whipping it unless it opens up on you.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

The way I've been doing it is just push it through till it almost keyholes but shoots out the back and try to stay at a steady speed so it follows. Then groove right down the root with a grinder and put my cap on
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Sounds about right.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

FCAW can support a pretty good amperage range in all positions. Some people may tend to go on the low side however keep in mind that many wires perform nicely when adjusted to spray vs globular type transfer modes. For vertical this isn't so important however when welding overhead understand that if its not spraying, you will have some issues with spatter falling.
Gerald Austin
If I didn't say it in the post- Have a great day !
Greeneville Tn