Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
bosulli
    Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:40 am

Hey everybody, and thanks for viewing my post.

Problem - getting a 3G Structural Steel certification test.

I am new to welding. 50yo, and ex-CFO type. I have been learning to weld, and believe I am ready for a 3G cert test. Went to AWS web site, and there are not any testing sites within 3 hrs. Did email one site, but have not gotten a reply.

Although I don't mind driving 3 or 4 hours for a test, but need details, so I can be prepared. I have zero knowledge of the protocols, what to bring, or what to expect.

Has anyone had experience getting any type of AWS certification while in a locale that does not have a testing facility? Anyone, meaning an individual doing this on their own without the sponsorship of an employer.

Thanks for your replies. Any info would be of help.

Robert

Robert
I did have to drive several hours to take a TIG pipe test at a community collage that was a certified AWS testing facility, of course I brought all my welding gear and I also brought a test fixture that I made and used to practice with. The fixture held the pipe coupon in the 6G position for the test, I also brought clamps to secure the fixture

That you're doing this for yourself doesn't make a difference as to what you'll need (obviously) to complete the test. That was over a decade ago, but as I remember the certifying agent will walk you through the steps in preparing and tacking the coupons and then give you the ok to proceed with the test. Perhaps someone with a more recent experience will reply and fill in any blanks I missed.

You could call the testing facility and talk with the certifying agent to ensure you're clear on what they expect.
Richard
Website
bosulli

Thanks for the reply LtBadd.

Would like to bring all the equip & tools I can, even my own machine, which is on a trailer.

I called two AWS sites, both community colleges in Alabama. Numbers on the AWS site go straight to VM. Have not heard back. Thinking they don't want to deal with people off the street without formal trade school.

I would pay someone local that was a CWI for a company just to check me out, knowing it would not be AWS cert. Then keep calling the AWS sites.

Try calling AWS directly, they may be able to put you into contact with someone local, or provide assistance with the facilities you're trying to contact.
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

There are also companies like Accuren that are not directly AWS, ASME, or API affiliated but are accepted/credentialed testers for the codes. This may be worth exploring.

No, you're not going to want to pay to have a truck come to your place, but they have training facilities for their inspectors that may be able to accommodate you.

There are also some specialty shops that do nothing but in-house weld testing and may have booths. I took several hours of practice at one in Beaumont, TX, way too many years ago.

Where are you located?

Steve S
bosulli

Thanks Otto Nobedder for the info I will check them out. My customers do not require AWS. Just want to pass a legit test, so I can say I have. My customers don't really know what a welding test is. They have just heard of "certified" welders. Also, for my own outside confirmation that I know what I am doing. For needs, a CWI can witness (I'll pay) and there are labs that will cert it passes D1.1 spec ($200). After that if I do get a job that code requires AWS cert, one of the AWS sites I called and emailed will have called back.

Oh yeah, I am in Memphis. Just moved back from TX. Sill going back and forth.
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

If you hold out and learn 4G before testing then you will be certified to weld 1, 2, 3 & 4 ---- G & F. You aren't terribly far from this place, maybe 3 - 4 hours:
http://m.georgiatradeschool.com/?url=ht ... =true#2931
Plate test at this facility will cost you $150 in any position.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
bosulli

RamboBaby,

Think your right about the 4G. By the time I get how to and where to get certified, I will have the overhead down.

I see ChuchE2009 touting the Georgia Trade School. His video of it looked nice. I will contact them. Its two hours further then Birmingham, and I am familiar with ATL.

Thanks for the tips. Very helpful.Oh yeah, I got the tig torch adapter from Weldfabulous working. WIll post a pic on that thread, when I think to get a pic of it.
bosulli

Call the Georgia Trade School. Did speak to very helpful admissions type of person. They do offer the cert tests to people off the street. Usually you only have to give them a few days notice. But, they are not an AWS accredited test facility. Maybe that's all I need for now.
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

We are a bit outside the 3-4 hour drive time but still in Tennesee. Just the diagonally opposite corner. 

We are also an AWS Accredited Test Facility but do testing in accordance with the AWS certified Welder program https://www.aws.org/library/doclib/QC7-93.pdf and just in accordance with various codes. There is no difference in either as far as the quality of the weld goes. Just the paperwork, registration with AWS, and the fact that a CWI is required for the AWS Certified Welder program. Regular testing in accordance with a code does not require a CWI or any facility .

Your friend can test you out of the back of his truck, do the bends, sign the papers and you are now the magical "CERTIFIED WELDER"

We do the Limited Thickness 3G/4G for $550.00 for AWS Certified Welder and Same Test Non AWS Certified Welder for 425 or 450. You can find em cheaper probably, but we are good at what we do. Usually a 24 hour notice will work and sometimes shorter.
https://registration.xenegrade.com/wscc ... chID=11029
Gerald Austin
If I didn't say it in the post- Have a great day !
Greeneville Tn
bosulli

Thanks for the info Weldingt. I did see your facility on the AWS listing. As mentioned I called 2 that were 3 hours away, and they have not called back. For what I want to do, there is value in AWS certification. But, before I drive 6 hours one way and plop down $550, I need to be sure I can pass. I am going to order test coupons from a company that will test the coupons. Once I pass an unofficial test in my shop, then I will get the AWS. If I don't hear back from the 2 sites in Alabama, I will certainly be contact with you.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

bosulli wrote:Just moved back from TX. Sill going back and forth.
Any chance of finding an AWS site on the Texas end of your travels? Is Shreveport on the way, if you're driving? This is an AWS test site in Shreveport- info clipped from an AWS list:

Louisiana Technical College Shreveport Bossier Campus
2010 N. Market ST.
Shreveport LA 71137
Steven Dowings
318-676-7811 Ext: 131

(I used to live in Shreveport, and drove up to Memphis- 5.5 ~ 6 hours.)
Dave
aka "RTFM"
bosulli

Thanks Artie. Saw that one in the listing. if I drive from parent's place in MS then I do go thru Shreveport. If i drive from Memphis, I dont. It could work out, as its a good place to spend the night. I will call them, and see if I get a return call.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

RamboBaby wrote:If you hold out and learn 4G before testing then you will be certified to weld 1, 2, 3 & 4 ---- G & F. You aren't terribly far from this place, maybe 3 - 4 hours:
http://m.georgiatradeschool.com/?url=ht ... =true#2931
Plate test at this facility will cost you $150 in any position.
RamboBaby,
Not true. Per AWS D1.1, Table 4.10 if you take your test in the 4G position you are only qualified to weld in the flat and horizontal position in grooves and flat, horizontal and overhead in fillets. To be qualified in all positions you will need to take a 3G and a 4G test.
Jonathan
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Doesn't a 6G pipe cert cover you for all fillets as well?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Poland308 wrote:Doesn't a 6G pipe cert cover you for all fillets as well?
I believe the ASME IX does, Ill have to look at my cert to be 100%....

@Poland308
Attachments
Here's my cert does cover fillets, I thought I read plate as well....
Here's my cert does cover fillets, I thought I read plate as well....
IMG_20160923_224520388~2.jpg (36.16 KiB) Viewed 2665 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB