Welder to welder, post your welding machines, accessories and consumables or items you're looking for. Please read and follow the rules when posting.
BradWalker
    Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:52 pm

I am a beginning welder and do not do this professionally. But, I am in need of purchasing a MIG welder for getting started on as the local university just doesn't quite fit my needs.

The local welding supplier has a Millermatic 140 for sale. They brought it in and refurbished it. I got a chance to look at it before the service dept. started working on it. The unit was in very good shape. Turns out the previous owner needed something more in terms of features/capabilities. So he traded it in for a different model.

I think the supplier is planning on selling it for approx. $350.

So my question to the group is:
1 - This seems like a good price, is it?
2 - Is this a good value to get started with?
3 - Any comments on purchasing used equipment or other comments?

Thanks for the collective insight from everyone.

-brad w.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

If it's in good condition that seems like a fair price. It seems like a capable machine that will be good for "non-professional" needs. The smaller mig welders from Miller, at least from me, are easy to learn on and usually are great runners. You may want to see about a new mig gun of the other owner used it a lot or put in a new liner but it isn't required unless the liner is shot. If the supplier is working on it and fixing it up a little it probably will be alright and a great deal for you.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
BradWalker
    Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:52 pm

Farmwelding wrote:You may want to see about a new mig gun of the other owner used it a lot or put in a new liner but it isn't required unless the liner is shot. If the supplier is working on it and fixing it up a little it probably will be alright and a great deal for you.
The supplier is going to provide a new mig gun which is nice.

One thing I don't understand and I keep hearing about is the liner. How does one tell if the liner is shot?

-brad w.

ps: Also, kudos to General Air here in Colorado. They have been GREAT to work with.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

If the wire is feeding poorly or you're having contamination problems and it's not a gas problem contact tip problem or anything else it might be a liner. It takes a while for a liner to go out though so.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Jimmyjohn
    Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:03 pm

A friend of mine has a millermatic 140. He uses it for body work, sheet metal ect. Anything thicker and you'll want more power. For the price you could learn on it and if you end up needing something bigger you should get all the money back toward a bigger machine.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

They are great machines for 1/8" and below. 3/16"+ material generally leaves you wanting more power.

Near me you would easily sell it for what you paid if you decided to upgrade later.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Tom Osselton
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 am

I have the 130 it also has pulsed weld and spotweld on it a nice feature.