Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Kasey
    Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:55 pm

Hello, I'm a noob here to the forums.
Just calling out for anyone that has recently passed the practical for the CWB Level 1, 2 or 3 welding inspector certification. I found all of the modules easy and the open book on the codes were fairly simple but I've failed the practical 3 times now. Any advice from anyone would be great!
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Did the examiners give any feedback? Got any pictures?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Kasey

No pictures allowed and feedback costs the same amount as just taking the test again. The practical test now consists of 5 plastic samples compared to the 10 steel samples it had in the past. When you go for the test you don't even talk to an examiner. You just get the plastic coupons from the secretary, go to a room to mark down your findings and then leave. To me this test has very gray areas compared to the black and white which I'm told that it used to be. This test is driving me nuts as I've never been remotely close to failing any theory tests before and I've already taken 3 shots at this one! Anybody with any experience on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
Kasey

Going back in on Tuesday to give er' another shot. Anybody with some last minute advice would be great! If I pass I'll let you guys know where I went wrong as I've been told plenty of people have been struggling with this test.
bagrat
    Mon May 09, 2016 7:17 pm

How did the last test go Kasey?

I also had issues with the visual, being plastic welds, walked out of the room feeling great, knowing I won't get 100% but 90% seemed about right, however, I just got test results and I was told I got 35% :shock:

Cannot believe it yet, I know everyone is trying to save money but have a practical test for welding inspectors that look at metal all day and then test them on plastic replicas??? Doesn't seem fair.

Almost thought one sample had some lack of fusion but being plastic, it's obviously one piece and fused, something that is easily determined on a real weld, made difficult when looking at a plastic weld.

Congrats to CWB, they will get so many more re-writers which = money since they "test" us on plastic now....
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

It seems rather odd...... I have done work in Canada (Toronto to Port Dover, Ontario). I have always been impressed with not only the professionalism of the CWB but also the Ministry of Labor. I also like the fact when you qualify Red Seal it's recognized by I think all provinces except Quebec (yea, yea I know how Quebec is.) It seem rather cheesy for you guys to examine "fake" coupons, CWB in my opnion is a class act. I will take a triple, triple please, pocket full of toonies.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
Kasey

Hey sorry for the late reply. Last test I passed with 100%.

They now make the exam instructions available on the CWB Group website. I looked it up and read them over and over as the secretary tells you when you go there that it's a reading test as much as it is a practical. I found one line that stuck out in the instructions - "Select one observed discontinuity, or circle No Discontinuity if none found." My first couple attempts at the test I would circle all of the discontinuities/defects I could find in each sample which is where I went wrong. Although I don't agree how the test is formatted - It's actually fairly simple if you don't disobey the instructions.

Good luck at your next shot!
mostafizur
    Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:57 pm

Hello Kasey,
In the exam there two sections on measurement n choosing whether acceptable or not.
Can you please tell me how to measure?

Thanks!
mostafizur

Kasey wrote:Going back in on Tuesday to give er' another shot. Anybody with some last minute advice would be great! If I pass I'll let you guys know where I went wrong as I've been told plenty of people have been struggling with this test.
needed some advice. Is there any way I can connect you?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Kasey's stats say he last visited May 19, 5 days after he joined. It's not unusual for someone to come here with a specific question and move on after it's answered.

There are others here familiar with that test, though. You may need to start a fresh topic to get their attention, though.

Steve S
mostafizur

Can anybody please help me with level 1 practical exam advices specially how to measure?

Thanks!
Mostafiz
mostafizur

Otto Nobedder wrote:Kasey's stats say he last visited May 19, 5 days after he joined. It's not unusual for someone to come here with a specific question and move on after it's answered.

There are others here familiar with that test, though. You may need to start a fresh topic to get their attention, though.

Steve S
Thanks for the advice
TrunkMonkey315
    Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:49 am

I'm a Journeyman/Red Seal welder and I managed to fail the practical the first go. I also didn't follow the instructions and circled more than one fault on my samples. I asked the lady at the front desk what I should do if I find more than one, her reply was "pick the most obvious". It is a fairly easy test, if you see a fault right away that's the one you should mark down. Once you identify it measure it and compare it to the generic welding standard they give you and either accept or reject the sample making sure to mark down the size of fault you observed.

What problem with measuring are you having? The easiest way if you haven't had any training in inspection tools is look up youtube videos. There's several available that show you how to use the gauges provided for the exam. (Vwac, fillet, bridge cam, hi lo and a basic ruler.)
MakeWeldsNotWar
    Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:34 pm

I'm about to take this exam and was wondering if it's multiple choice, and if not, how much descriptive writing is involved. Any other tips would be appreciated too!
med415
    Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:49 am

I am only on mod 4 on the theory for level one and I have been waiting 4 months for the grades going to move on and hope I did not fail anything
Rebeliron
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:59 am

I passed CWB CWI level one and it's no joke. Read the instructions is the first part and follow it to a "T"! That's your first test as an inspector. No over thinking it, that will be your downfall. You must follow it exactly and ONLY CIRCLE ONE discontinuity (pick the easiest one and not all discontinuities are weld faults), pass or fail it, use the right term for the discontinuity (no slag, there are multiple choices but not all of them are the correct terms.) and measure the discontinuity, if it is measurable (not all discontinuities can be measured). In my class there were 12 students and only four passed, i believe. Just remember, in level 2 you need to redo level one (so keep your books)and you need to work for minimum of 2 years under a level 2 or 3. Level 2 CWB CWI is more like AWS CWI and in level 2 it is a less than 10% pass rate. It's best not to talk about level 3 (lol). Good luck and don't use the palmgren gauge, the bridge cam is your best friend. :D
ashleyh
    Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:32 pm

i am doing my level one test as well and i failed the practical the first try. I have seen that there are some discontinuities that cannot be measured. In that case what would you write down in that spot. I had a test piece would i would call incomplete weld/not tied in. I am thinking that was would be the one you can't measure. Wondering what anyone would put for that one. It never said, or i just didn't see it that if you can't measure it what to put in that space. any information would be helpful
Rebeliron

You must pick one and only ONE discontinuity. Pick the easiest one and if you can, pick one you don't have to measure. The test welds are plastic 3d printed models, which suck. Make sure you read the right side of the model. There are discontinuities that you don't have to measure and you record it as not measurable. KEEP IT SIMPLE AND SHORT. Good luck
Lyman Bolt
    Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:04 pm

Can someone please send me information on the Cwb Inspection level one practical exam , I don’t know what I am doing wrong . I have tried the test 3 times now and have failed. I know I have to circle the one weld fault for each coupon. There are 5 plastic coupons . I don’t know what else to do. I have read the instructions and have done what’s asked . Can someone email me please lyman_b@nf.sympatico.ca. I need help.
Crash
    Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:33 pm

I too have tried and failed the practical exam three times now.

There is one discontinuity I am having particular difficulty with. It's something in the middle of the top pass (I can't recall if each time it was on a fillet weld) where it looks like a bead was stopped midway through a pass and the next bead did not tie into it properly.

It's certainly a unique (and ugly) discontinuity and unfortunately I can't seem to find anything that looks like it, either online or in the textbooks that came with the course.

I was hoping someone knew which discontinuity I was talking about. Or perhaps someone knows of a good online resource with lots of photos of discontinuities?

Thanks.
carlan
    Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:40 pm

hey crash. how did you do with it after? I just done mine recently and never came across a coupon like that, the five I had were I hope was.....
overlap
porosity
excessive weld reinforcement
misaligned plates
insufficient leg length
I am a welder 15 years and it is a difficult test, including the codes and closed book.
Rebeliron

The CWB changes their samples and retires their old ones. They have many samples to choose from to 3d print. They also have some samples with no discontinuities. Be careful :shock:
Phatmandave
    Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:18 pm

Maybe I can help a bit. I had some trouble with my level 1 practical exam and took advantage for the "Exam Review" for 110 bucks.
what I found out was that all measurements are +/- .5mm or .5 deg.
If you measure porosity and your measurement is 3mm but the test piece answer sheet says 2mm you will maybe fail the part.

Same with excessive convexity. Make sure you use the formula correctly and triple check all your measurements.

Good luck and bring your wallet.
TEXT
    Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:56 pm

Hi guys, I am going in to write my level 1 practice in a couple of days and wondered where, or if there is information on tolerances for weld faults?
Rebeliron

I believe it is still +/- 1mm