Welding Certification test Q&A and tips and tricks
Suthernrayzd
    Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:50 pm

Ok guys, I'm lookin for some advice from those of you familiar with the old millermatic vintage 225 I think, bought new in 94. I have a 3 year old Lincoln for my tig welder which I do almost 100 percent of my work with, but I have a welding test coming up November 23rd and I need mig time just in case. It's stocked with .035 wire, has high and low settings internally for both wire speed and amps, along with the 0-90 or whatever and 1-6 for controls on the face of the machine. I only use this machine for welding pickets into punched channel for various handrails, what are some settings recommended to practice with? The settings on the chart seem a bit hotter than what I feel they should be via u tube videos but I just started playing with the settings today.

Suthernrayzd wrote: I have a welding test coming up November 23rd and I need mig time just in case.
Welcome to the forum
Is this a pipe or plate test? Whichever, you need to get practice coupons and spend time practicing under those conditions.

If I didn't answer your question then let us know with more information
Richard
Website
Suthernrayzd

I would think on plates, for building defense trucks
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Ray, welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Suthernrayzd wrote:I would think on plates, for building defense trucks
Testing for Textron?

Steve S
Suthernrayzd

No oshkosh truck actually
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Try and get yourself some 3/8" plate and grind or flame cut a 45 degree angle into each side. Another thing you can try is this: Take some strips of 1/4" X 1" wide and tack them to another 1/4" thick plate. You want to end up with these gaps about 3/8" of an inch between the strips of 1/4". Can you picture what I am talking about?

Next, stand those pieces up and run a vertical up pass with your machine. Make sure to use a 'Z' weave pattern. Either go straight across to the other side with your 'Z' or put in a slight 'rainbow' arc. DO NOT make a 'U' shape! You are not trying to fill the groove. What this exercise will reveal to you is if you are 'weak' or not fully penetrating on one side. Usually guys are 'weak' on one side. Also, remember that you bring the wire over to the edge, and allow the puddle to fill in the gap. Hold the toes! Let the puddle fill in the sides!

Do your root pass and then hot pass, fillers and cover. After the hot pass, practice weave and stringers to fill and cover. This way you get practice doing both.

If you can do these plates, a 3/8"or 1" "V" groove test will be easy. I hope.

Let us know how it works out.
Gary
Suthernrayzd

Thank you sir, i can picture most things =) Ive been basically making functional art for years in this trade, and ive got tons of 3/8 and quarter inch plate so ill probably use the plasma for the bevel, it is the technique and weave patterns i need to practice with, and ive been studying weld symbols for reading blueprints too since thats part of the job. Any advice on settings and technique would be greatly appreciated for sure. My wiregun is a millermatic vintage is all it says, 28 volts, 200 amps, 60 percent cycle, 42 max ocv. Got .035 in it, and im also curious about the differences in welding with flux core
Suthernrayzd

Im actually building something for myself in spare time right now and ill take pics as i go for advice, i got an old wheel bearing out of my custom car so im making a piece that bolds on to the wood splitter to save whoevers back is using it
Suthernrayzd

I also want advice on cool times? Like between welds and such for the most durable