A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Somewhere a while ago I saw a post from someone wondering the best way to clean mill scale from hot rolled steel without marring the surface underneath. I just started using a 3M product called a Large area paint and rust stripper. Its a 4in dia.x 1in wheel that looks a bit like heavy duty black candy floss with embedded abrasives. I use it in a high speed drill ( 3400 rpm ). I found it in the auto body shop supply section at Canadian Tire. As it wears it keeps exposing fresh abrasives and doesn't develop a set like a wire wheel. Don't know maby a lot of people use these thing but I just ran into it. It works really fast and easy on mill scale-paint and rust and seems to wear very well. :D
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I've used them too. I like them a lot. I use it in a drill and in my end grinder.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:45 pm

I purchased one of these recently for my angle grinder to remove paint off some sheet metal. It worked really fast without gouging the steel.
I also learnt you should avoid the edges and corners with these as they get torn apart in no time but on flat surfaces they are great.
    Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:44 pm

I use a stiff 3"cup wire brush on my 4 1/2" grinder for removing rust, paint and weld BBs.
Attachments
Grinder 1a.jpg
Grinder 1a.jpg (56.68 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Norton Blaze Rapid strip
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Sometimes wire wheel doesn't remove the rust it merely polishes it but it's still there. 3M Strip disc is the bomb.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I use wire wheels (not cups) for most of my clean ups -welds etc. The trick is to use a high speed reversible drill. With a cup yes works great for a few moments -develops a set and does basically polish. With a drill just run one direction until the bristles start to set and reverse it and like new. I just toggle back and forth as needed. My most used tool in the shop is a 20V -1/4in impact driver with a chuck attachment and an assortment of wire wheel attachments. Over time I can run circles around a cup in a grinder and far more versatile. If someone would invent a reversible grinder for this you would have a real screamer!! I also use a 6in bench grinder wheel with arbour in a 3400rpm 1/2in Makita drill and it really flies and surprisingly runs very smooth. :ugeek: :ugeek:
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

I've seen wire wheels that have thread on connectors on both sides of the wheel. This allows you to flip the wheel and expose the sharp edge of the wires. I can't seem to find them at the moment.