Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
FizHD
    Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:03 pm

Greetings,

I have been reading about welding/cutting torch outfits for a few days. My neighbor has a "job" for me and I need to cut some 1/2" steel plate. He was going to give me his oxy/acetylene system for payment (as i have been talking about wanting one). The torch is an old Airco (818-0650) that needs a rebuild. I can't find parts for it. I'm not qualified to rebuild it anyway. It also looks like the acetylene fitting is bent. It has a 2 tube cutting head with no oxy valve. Cutting tip is heavily worn. Lots of black soot around the valves. The hose looks terrible. The regulators are also old. I just don't see any reason to have it repaired at this point.

He said he swapped the oxy tank 5 years ago which is the last time he used the torch. It shows 1300 on the reg. He Just swapped the acetylene tank today so it's full. Part of the deal. He is willing to pay $200 of a new torch outfit.

With that out of the way.. LOL

I looked at my local airgas and praxair for kits. They both have their own "branded" kits witch are Victor like/type. They both have Victor books in the box. The label says all is from china except the hose which is usa made. Not interested in those.

I guess I am interested in the Miller/Smith outfits. Their price was WAY above online prices. The 2 that I am considering are the "Toughcut MB55A" and the "Medium Duty Series 30 MBA-30510". The latter has a lifetime warranty on the handle and cutting attachment. Otherwise they are about the same besides a few accessories.

I would be using this in the future for cutting maybe up to 1" and doing some brazing/welding.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
LE 210MP
LE 200 TIG
Evolution Rage3
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

If it was me, i'd look into repairing what you have. i sent a torch and cutting attachment to these guys
http://www.regulatortorchrepair.com/

They did an excellent job: assessed the torch, then called me to say what work they would do. You can probably call with your torch info to make sure they have the parts. They added a cutting tip for free.

As i recall the cost to repair the torch and cutting attachment was about $100. Since your neighbor is willing to kick in $200, sounds like a repair is under your budget. You say the torch looks a little rough now, but it comes back looking like new.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
FizHD

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the response.

I will look into having the Airco rebuilt. It would be nice to have around and looking/working like new. :)

I'm still gonna buy a new "outfit". Buying everything together is quite a savings.

Does anyone have any input on the 2 mentioned sets? Surely someone has one.

Thanks,
John
LE 210MP
LE 200 TIG
Evolution Rage3
FizHD

pics of the torch.
20170207_165742.jpg
20170207_165742.jpg (39.91 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
20170207_165842.jpg
20170207_165842.jpg (44.33 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
LE 210MP
LE 200 TIG
Evolution Rage3
FizHD

This is the response for a quote on a rebuild.

"Thank you for contacting us regarding your Airco 650 handle and cutting attachment. Unfortunately, the parts for your unit are obsolete."

Guess it's a conversation piece lol

John
LE 210MP
LE 200 TIG
Evolution Rage3
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

For the $200 chip in you could probably buy a whole new torch handle and head and just reuse the hoses and regulators
I have more questions than answers

Josh