General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:44 pm

If I hit the lotto a Saylor & Beall 25 HP compressor is going to be the first thing order. I want to sandblast really bad. My Quincy 5 HP 80-gallon verticle tank can't do the job.

http://www.saylor-beall.com/saylor-beal ... e-package/
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:08 am

I used to have a part time job sandblasting.. The guy had an IR tow behind unit that used a 460 Ford big block that used 4 cylinders to run and 4 for compression. It was a handful at the nozzle and loud, but it would take anything down to bare metal in a hurry. It made the little cabinet jobs that I had used before seem "cute" in comparison.
"Why is there never time to do anything right the first time but always time to do it again?"
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

We used to use the some type of compressor but with a small block ford motor and it would run 2-90lb. jackhammers all day steady and never break a sweat. Before that we rented big diesel tow behinds and they worked harder than the small block. Amazing! :o

I built a blaster thinking it would do a better job than the kind of blaster you stick a tube in a bag of black beauty, but my compressor is way to small to run it.
Attachments
Font of Blaster 1.jpg
Font of Blaster 1.jpg (36.33 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
Back of Blaster 2.jpg
Back of Blaster 2.jpg (88.49 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
Blaster Left Side 3.jpg
Blaster Left Side 3.jpg (36.28 KiB) Viewed 2180 times
Blaster RightSide 4.jpg
Blaster RightSide 4.jpg (89.64 KiB) Viewed 2180 times

That's a good looking piece. (Would those be John Deere colors? :mrgreen: )
Any idea how many cfm at what pressure it would take to run it?
"Why is there never time to do anything right the first time but always time to do it again?"

WoodpeckerWelder wrote:That's a good looking piece. (Would those be John Deere colors? :mrgreen: )
Any idea how many cfm at what pressure it would take to run it?

Woodpecker I'm thinking a minimum of around 35 CFM @ 90 PSI and over with at least a 3/4" air supply hose. I thought I could use ball valves to regulate the air, but there simply is not enough CFM to work with. No matter how I adjust the ball valves the media still clogs up at the bottom of the wye and blast hose.

Perhaps a daisy chain setup with a separate storage tank? Cfms are key, so to have a large capacity tank with a combination of smaller volume compressors (two maybe?) might be a solution. We did something similar in a woodshop where I used to work to handle multiple air sanders, nail guns and the finishing department all working at the same time. I think it was something like two IR vertical 80 gallon units and another 80 gallon horizontal tank off of a defunct unit. Never ran out of air volume or pressure.

WoodpeckerWelder wrote:Perhaps a daisy chain setup with a separate storage tank? Cfms are key, so to have a large capacity tank with a combination of smaller volume compressors (two maybe?) might be a solution. We did something similar in a woodshop where I used to work to handle multiple air sanders, nail guns and the finishing department all working at the same time. I think it was something like two IR vertical 80 gallon units and another 80 gallon horizontal tank off of a defunct unit. Never ran out of air volume or pressure.
I've heard of similar stories that worked out well by doing what you're suggesting, my problem is space, I don't have the space to have such a setup. Also, as I'm sure you know, 80 gallon tanks are a very expensive and I don't know if I would trust used ones. I guess if I ever need to blast a big job the safest thing for me to do would be to rent a Sullair. :)

One of a kind wrote:
WoodpeckerWelder wrote:Perhaps a daisy chain setup with a separate storage tank? Cfms are key, so to have a large capacity tank with a combination of smaller volume compressors (two maybe?) might be a solution. We did something similar in a woodshop where I used to work to handle multiple air sanders, nail guns and the finishing department all working at the same time. I think it was something like two IR vertical 80 gallon units and another 80 gallon horizontal tank off of a defunct unit. Never ran out of air volume or pressure.
I've heard of similar stories that worked out well by doing what you're suggesting, my problem is space, I don't have the space to have such a setup. Also, as I'm sure you know, 80 gallon tanks are a very expensive and I don't know if I would trust used ones. I guess if I ever need to blast a big job the safest thing for me to do would be to rent a Sullair. :)
I know the feeling about both space and $.... Don't have a shop or the cash to equip one if I did. I know they say money can't buy happiness, but I believe that it could make a pretty fair down payment! :lol:

[quote="I know the feeling about both space and $.... Don't have a shop or the cash to equip one if I did. I know they say money can't buy happiness, but I believe that it could make a pretty fair down payment! :lol:[/quote]

I hear ya, I can guarantee you a 8-$10,000 air system is never going to be seen on this property either. :lol: