It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:39 pm Advanced search

Having trouble Tig welding horseshoes

Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

Having trouble Tig welding horseshoes

Postby donzi426 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:17 am

I purchased 20 new sandblasted horseshoes to make coat/tack racks for use in a stable. I'm using my AHP AlphaTig 200X AC/DC welder using 220v. Filler rods: ER70S-2 1/16". Tungsten: 1/16" purple rare earth electrodes. Stubby gas lens with #7 cup. I begin by cutting one horseshoe in half then welding it to the front of another horseshoe. The horseshoes are 1/4" thick. Before welding I remove the mill scale with a sanding disk and use acetone to clean the surfaces. I set amps at 160 and am using a foot-pedal. I can't seem to get a good puddle, and if I raise the amps over 160 the weld looks like crud with black soot and multiple craters. I can run nice beads on thinner steel and aluminum, but this project is not working out. I eventually get the two pieces welded together, but the welds are sloppy. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Vinny
donzi426
New Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:42 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Having trouble Tig welding horseshoes

Postby Poland308 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:36 pm

The quality of steel that horse shoes are made from may be questionable. Try running a puddle. Without filler on just a flat spot to see if it gives you the same results. If it does immediately try just a puddle on a piece of good cold rolled flat bar. If they both weld bad then it's something with the welder or your setup. If the cold rolled welds fine and the shoe doesn't then it's metal quality. If it's poor metal quality then I'd try more like 130 amps and larger filler like 3/32 or 1/8. This will give you more metal dilution in the puddle might help makeup for low quality base material.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1696
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Having trouble Tig welding horseshoes

Postby Farmwelding » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:10 pm

Horseshoes always seem to be a little weird for welding. If you have access to mig or stick you may want to try that instead.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything.
warning!! Bad English may be in post. It's off a phone/autocorrect. I've had teachers with worse spelling!
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Having trouble Tig welding horseshoes

Postby bruce991 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:05 pm

Strange I make all kinds of things from old and new shoes never had any problems. I do use 2% lanthenated tungsten and find them very easy to run a nice bead. Maybe you have a leak on the argon. I do use gas lens #8 on everything. I have welded some right out of box no prep no issues.
Attachments
Courtney in horse shoes.JPG
Gift for my daughter
Courtney in horse shoes.JPG (63.68 KiB) Viewed 408 times
bruce991
Guide
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm
Location: Central Michigan

Re: Having trouble Tig welding horseshoes

Postby donzi426 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks Poland308 for the information. I will try using a larger filler rod. Do you think pre-heating the horseshoe would also help?
Last edited by donzi426 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
donzi426
New Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:42 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Having trouble Tig welding horseshoes

Postby exnailpounder » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:10 pm

donzi426 wrote:I purchased 20 new sandblasted horseshoes to make coat/tack racks for use in a stable. I'm using my AHP AlphaTig 200X AC/DC welder using 220v. Filler rods: ER70S-2 1/16". Tungsten: 1/16" purple rare earth electrodes. Stubby gas lens with #7 cup. I begin by cutting one horseshoe in half then welding it to the front of another horseshoe. The horseshoes are 1/4" thick. Before welding I remove the mill scale with a sanding disk and use acetone to clean the surfaces. I set amps at 160 and am using a foot-pedal. I can't seem to get a good puddle, and if I raise the amps over 160 the weld looks like crud with black soot and multiple craters. I can run nice beads on thinner steel and aluminum, but this project is not working out. I eventually get the two pieces welded together, but the welds are sloppy. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Vinny

Sounds more like a gas problem than a base metal problem.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 2007
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am
Location: near Chicago

Re: Having trouble Tig welding horseshoes

Postby bruce991 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:14 pm

donzi426 wrote:Thanks Poland308 for the information. I will try using a larger filler rod. Do you think pre-heating the horseshoe would also help?

No to preheating your not getting the argon shielding IMO, try 180 amps
bruce991
Guide
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm
Location: Central Michigan

Re: Having trouble Tig welding horseshoes

Postby donzi426 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:15 pm

Thanks Farmwelding. I do have access to Mig and Stick, but I'm infatuated with Tig and am trying to improve my skills with it.
donzi426
New Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:42 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Having trouble Tig welding horseshoes

Postby donzi426 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi Bruce991: Nice photos. That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I'll check for argon leak, but I've tried other metals - Mild Steel and Aluminum w/o a problem.
donzi426
New Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:42 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Having trouble Tig welding horseshoes

Postby bruce991 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:58 pm

donzi426 wrote:Hi Bruce991: Nice photos. That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I'll check for argon leak, but I've tried other metals - Mild Steel and Aluminum w/o a problem.
Well that means your shoes are fighting you somehow.
bruce991
Guide
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm
Location: Central Michigan

Next

Return to Tig Welding - Tig Welding Aluminum - Tig Welding Techniques - Aluminum Tig Welding