Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.

Anyone use one of these instead of a cut-off wheel? Worth $15...
20170303_193905.jpg
20170303_193905.jpg (91.52 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
Richard
Website
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I don't know about that. It is sure one expensive wheel to bust of you twist your arm in accident. I broke two cheaper wheels cutting some 3/16" wall pipe down in the ground with a narrow trench. I wouldn't want to have spent $30 for a gravy job.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I've used them on tile and cement. But not metal. They worked great on that stuff.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I might have to give that one a go. As often as I cut thin-wall pipe in awkward places, that might be a gem. The .05" kerf is acceptable, since my .045 cut-off wheels make a bigger kerf for my hand movement and the fact that the whole depth is abrasive.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:I might have to give that one a go. As often as I cut thin-wall pipe in awkward places, that might be a gem. The .05" kerf is acceptable, since my .045 cut-off wheels make a bigger kerf for my hand movement and the fact that the whole depth is abrasive.

Steve S
Let us know Steve if you use this, or one similar. Maybe can get a better deal online?
Richard
Website
Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

I was sent a free trial blade and I got all hot and bothered just looking at it. So I dropped my office work and ran into the shop to try it like a little kid on Christmas morning. Well, yes, it cuts steel without ripping all the diamond off the base, that's about it. My opinion was it was worth exactly what I paid for it, nothing. It is extremely loud and cuts slow as molasses in January with such a ragged burr you'll think you have a school of hungry piranha on the back side of your material.

Did I throw it in the recycle bin? No. Someday, when I'm out in the field and in a pinch to cut something it just might save my butt. Would I pay for one just to have around for the afore mentioned "in a pinch" use, no.
Farmwelding

Rudy Ray wrote:I was sent a free trial blade and I got all hot and bothered just looking at it. So I dropped my office work and ran into the shop to try it like a little kid on Christmas morning. Well, yes, it cuts steel without ripping all the diamond off the base, that's about it. My opinion was it was worth exactly what I paid for it, nothing. It is extremely loud and cuts slow as molasses in January with such a ragged burr you'll think you have a school of hungry piranha on the back side of your material.

Did I throw it in the recycle bin? No. Someday, when I'm out in the field and in a pinch to cut something it just might save my butt. Would I pay for one just to have around for the afore mentioned "in a pinch" use, no.
Well based on that I'd rather spend my $15 on a pack of 10 decent cut off wheels than one that doesn't cut that great
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

On the bright side I did find a good use for it. It's awesome at cutting PVC pipe when doing sprinkler repairs!!!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I cut pvc pipe in an abrasive chop saw. Done fast, there's very little melt and my hand-held de-burring tool dresses them right up in one pass. Also, no "grabbing" like cutting them with a wood blade.

Steve S
Farmwelding

Otto Nobedder wrote:I cut pvc pipe in an abrasive chop saw. Done fast, there's very little melt and my hand-held de-burring tool dresses them right up in one pass. Also, no "grabbing" like cutting them with a wood blade.

Steve S
That's the thing with pvc-can be cut by anything. Same with aluminum. A wood blade will cut thin aluminum nicely or at least to get it cut.
Nick
Mihtu
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:01 am

I have several of these wheels,not real sure about them,you can definately feel a sort of vibration when you cut,kind of scary!They do cut but seems that after awhile ,they would eat the bearings on your grinder!
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

I have one on my Makita LXT cordless grinder. Slower than abrasive disk, but no changing of disc needed. Worked good on aluminum tubing and angle. I don't think i would run one on my corded grinder though. They do vibrate more then cut off wheels.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk