Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
clavius
    Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 pm

Any of you guys using these? Just a while ago I purchased a 10 pack of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Roloc-3-In ... B007SX2N3E

At $15 bucks for 10 disks and free shipping (tacked them on another order) it seemed a worthwhile gamble. I have just started using one on my small right-angle air grinder. I must say, for a small 3" disk, these seem to work great thus far. They are quite aggressive and the small size makes them really handy for working on small parts and getting into tight spaces. I really like these.

Only one gripe: When I spin these up on my grinder, and do my work they are fine. The problem comes when you stop the grinder. The first time I let go of the lever on the grinder, the rapid deceleration of the grinder spindle coupled with the mass of the flap disk caused the flap disk to unscrew itself from the Roloc backing disk and fly across the shop(!). A bit unsettling, to say the least.

So for the time being, I have just tried to remember to either have the disk still on the work piece when I release the throttle lever, or touch it to some piece of scrap on the bench and stop. And I still ended up chasing the disk around the shop more than once. Anyone have a better solution to this annoyance?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I use those and the ScotchBrite Rolocs in varying grits. Not had the problem you're describing. In fact, I had to perform near surgery to extract a broken backer from the grinder when I caught an edge to aggressively.

I use both 2" and 3" pads in 4 differing grits. Love them!
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Unlucky about the loosening discs. My solution for the broken of thread on the plastic ones is to heat a small piece of flattened steel (small old screwdriver shape) push it into the plastic and let it cool/solidify. Then undo it as per normal.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Definitely have the same problem. When I release the trigger sometimes the wheel goes spinning across the shop.

It finally just snapped off. Then the next one snapped off while in use...

Love using them on my right angle air tool - but don't like the attachment issues.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Is your rubber backing plate worn to the point that you don't have good tension?
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Poland308 wrote:Is your rubber backing plate worn to the point that you don't have good tension?
Unfortunately no - darn thing is in nice shape.

Considering putting skateboard tape on it or something.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Poland308

My boy is into skateboarding so you can get clear tape if you want.

Josh

Didn't know they made colors. Thought all traction tape was black :)
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
clavius

It is really an annoyance more than anything, though flap disks flying around the shop is not ideal. The thread on my mandrel seems ok, but I had a similar though that I my try putting a wrap of electrical tape or something around the threaded stud on the disk to see if I can tighten it up and secure it better.

Beyond that, these things are pretty great.

Maybe those are designed for a reversible sander. I've used them with no issues.
    Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:44 pm

I've had the opposite happen to me a few times, the disc would become hard to twist off. I was thinking my problem was caused by me forgetting to change the air direction valve on my compressor. :lol:
Poland308

It's like the toilet flush. If your down under it goes the other way!

Josh

Our terlets don't swirl.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:Our terlets don't swirl.
You use a dunny? Y'all have running water, right? ;)

Runnin down hill. Don't drink down hill from your neighbour in the morning.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:Runnin down hill. Don't drink down hill from your neighbour in the morning.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reminds me of my class on hydrology... The teacher had warned a fellow about drinking from a spring below a subdivision. Fellow argued that the water was sweet. Teacher said, "There are diabetics on the hill above you, then."

Steve S

apparently a pool thats 18 meters long can contain up to 75 litres of Urine.... On a regular day. More during Kindergarten swimming or seniors aquarobics.
Poland308

Lol

Josh
clavius

weldin mike 27 wrote:apparently a pool thats 18 meters long can contain up to 75 litres of Urine.... On a regular day. More during Kindergarten swimming or seniors aquarobics.

Well, this thread degenerated pretty quickly....

:D :P

Thats how it goes around here.
airrj
    Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:31 am

I have used these a bunch in a friends shop on auto body work. Where you really don't want much heat in the metal. They seem to run a bit cooler and last longer than the flat ROLOC discs. And I have had the same issue with them coming off if you decelerate too quickly. Not something that I use all of the time, but they are handy.
clavius

airrj wrote:I have used these a bunch in a friends shop on auto body work. Where you really don't want much heat in the metal. They seem to run a bit cooler and last longer than the flat ROLOC discs. And I have had the same issue with them coming off if you decelerate too quickly. Not something that I use all of the time, but they are handy.

Yep, these things are great, I really like them. As I mentioned they make my little right angle air grinder perform really well and it is just so handy to use. I tried just putting a wrap or two of electrical tape around the threaded stem to make the fit in the mandrel more snug and it made a big difference. No more disks flying across the room. Time will tell if it holds up for long, but so far so good!
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

I had the same problem with the 2in discs and finally gave up on them. The other day in Canadian Tire I bought a set of 4 Roloc fiber discs - the type you clean heads with that included a new adapter. This adapter is concave aprox. 3/64 in. almost like a suction cup and a softer rubber that you can easily dent with a fingernail. You have to press in like a child proof cap to start the threads on the disk but it works perfect. Now I have to hunt around the shop to find all the lost flying discs. :roll: :D